Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick, 2009 Book  » Books  »
1.0
  • I found this book in the library about two months ago
  • So I read the blurb, and it did seem relatively interesting, so I decided to take it out and see if it would be any good
  • Nora, on the other hand is one of the most boring characters I have ever seen in a book
  • However, I wouldn't recommend this book to anybody

• by turtledove

I found this book in the library about two months ago. I was just browsing, and this book happened to be on display. So I read the blurb, and it did seem relatively interesting, so I decided to take it out and see if it would be any good. I was hoping it would have a unique plot and it would hold my attention. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

The book revolves around Nora Grey: an average college student with a relatively boring life, who falls for Patch: a fallen Angel from Heaven. Patch was initially trying to kill Nora, in

order to become completely human, however he fell in love with Nora, so instead his goal became to save her life instead of end it.

The plot was not original or different whatsoever. It seemed to me that Becca Fitzpatrick had just been sitting in her house one day and had a sudden idea that she could slightly edit an already existing book series and make money from it. Honestly, the plot was exactly the same as that from the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer. A girl with an uneventful life, falling in love with a secret mysterious boy who she doesn’t know properly, only to find out that he’s a superhuman being. Sound familiar to you?

The characters were poorly developed as well. Patch is meant to be a ‘bad boy’, who’s really cool and has a really interesting and exciting life. In reality, he spends most of his time alone playing pool in a dark room. Nora, on the other hand is one of the most boring characters I have ever seen in a book. There’s nothing even vaguely interesting about her. She’s just very boring: and the main character of a book should not be boring. Also,

• Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick, 2009 Book
      it is never justified as to why Nora actually trusts Patch for any moment throughout the book apart from at the very end. He had bad intentions towards her from the very start, but she was still clever enough to continue trusting him in spite of all the suspicious action?

The writing was alright. It actually wasn’t that bad considering the standard of the characters and plot, but some things were horribly cliche. Half of the lines in this book were romantic things I’d heard before. Nothing was original or unique about it, and everything sounded strangely familiar. The book

was also very confusing - there were too many villains and plot twists throughout, and it felt like Fitzpatrick hadn’t really planned what she wanted to happen in the book beforehand and made it up as she went along, resulting in a confusing mess of a book.

Overall, this book was not good. The characters were poor, the plot was poor, the writing wasn’t great and the book didn’t hold my interest at all. Maybe Fitzpatrick can save the series with a well-written second book with better developed characters and a little more common sense involved. However, I wouldn’t recommend this book to anybody.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1727081648320231/k2311a0827/8.27.15