The Elite by Kiera Cass, 2013 Book (The Selection Series #2)  » Books  »
2.5
  • The only reason I picked up the first book in the first place was due to the pretty cover, however the book majorly disappointed me
  • But the issue with the plot still remains
  • Yes, it definitely could have had more unpredictable plot twists and some higher quality writing, but at least the characters were a little less irritating
  • I would recommend this book to someone who has read the first book in the series, or someone who wants to read the series but wants to skip the poor characters of the first book

• by turtledove

This is the second book in ‘The Selection’ series. The only reason I picked up the first book in the first place was due to the pretty cover, however the book majorly disappointed me. In spite of the poor quality of ‘The Selection’, I had to finish the series. Somehow I just can’t stop in the middle. So, I went to the library again and picked up ‘The Elite’ - book 2 in The Selection Series

I have already reviewed the first book, and I didn’t enjoy

it at all. I didn’t particularly enjoy the second book either, however it was an improvement on the first one. The poor writing and unnecessarily long plot still remains, however at least the characters had developed and improved/

The Elite continues the Selection for Prince Maxon of Illea: a competition between 35 girls as to who will marry the Prince. This book starts from the point of the book when the competition has been narrowed down to only six girls, known as ‘the Elite’. Of course, our good friend America singer (who earlier apparently wanted to be eliminated from this competition) is a member of this group.

America still irritated me a lot during this book, but at least she the wasn’t stupid, irritating and in indecisive girl that she was in the first book. Finally, she decides to start standing up for herself and, having some strong opinions and she also becomes a little ‘feisty’. I actually started to like her at some points in the book. Maxon also improved a bit over ...

• The Elite by Kiera Cass, 2013 Book (The Selection Series #2)
      the course of the book, He stops calling America ‘my dear’ as frequently (hurray!) and he starts to talk more like a normal human, which makes the book overall more bearable.

But the issue with the plot still remains. I was hoping before reading this book that maybe where would be a plot twist that would change everything in the Selection, and maybe it would be worthwhile. But no, again the book just followed the exact story line I was expecting. The writing standard didn’t really improve

much either.

Overall, I would say this book was slightly better than the previous book in the series. Yes, it definitely could have had more unpredictable plot twists and some higher quality writing, but at least the characters were a little less irritating. I would recommend this book to someone who has read the first book in the series, or someone who wants to read the series but wants to skip the poor characters of the first book. But, quite frankly, I wouldn’t recommend this series to anybody.

Valeria says :

I find this book boring, it’s like the same thing over and over again, it’s like ,”Aspen or Maxon?,Maxon or Aspen?” And the poor Marlee who got canned because she was with someone she loved, yes it was a rule, but everybody knows she was still there because she was the favorite, besides, now you love someone and you deserve to die?

turtledove replies :

I agree, I didn’t really enjoy this book much either. I personally thought it was slightly better than the other books in the series, but it still did have a very weak plot, so it wasn’t exactly a good book I’d recommend, unless someone really enjoyed the first book.
And I do completely agree on the Marlee front: I think she was dealt with way too harshly.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1727081648300231/k2311a0827/8.27.15