Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, 2011 Book  » Books  »
  • However, I thought the plot was one big cliche
  • It felt like a forced love interest to make the romantic aspect of the story more interesting, but it just didn't work at all
  • They were necessary, but if you don't like to commit to reading any sort of series, this is definitely not the book for you
  • I would recommend this book only if you really enjoy romance and you don't mind cliches

• by turtledove

A friend recommended this book to me after having read it herself, saying that the plot was quite different to many others she had read before. So I went to the library and picked it up, had a read of the blurb, and decided to give it a go.

The book revolves around Juliette Ferrars, a 17 year old girl with a lethal touch. Initially, she is held in an asylum, as she had accidentally killed a very young child previously. However, over the course of the book, she comes out of the asylum and becomes part of a rebellion against the ‘Reestablishment’: a government controlling

the world.

One of the few things I liked about this book was the characters. Juliette was a well developed character: part mad, part lonely, part angry, but also very scared. She did act how I would imagine someone kept in isolation for that long to be. Adam (Juliette’s love interest) is also a strong character, and he’s very real in that he’s not always calm and he does actually get angry (like any normal person). The good thing about this book was that it made me love and hate different characters, and it made me care.

However, I thought the plot was one big cliche. So irritatingly similar to many other young adult fiction books. It’s just another book about people rebelling against the injustices of the government, with a love triangle thrown in too. Sounds very similar to the Hunger Games doesn’t it?

The writing wasn’t particularly great either. I wouldn’t go as far to say it was ‘poor’, but it had so many cliche lines. Everything sounded so familiar, and I felt like I’d heard all those lines before. The writing really lacked originality. The romantic writing was very cheesy as well.

The love triangle didn’t work at all either. Although Adam is obsessed with Juliette, Juliette herself doesn’t really seem to ...

• Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi, 2011 Book
      care much for him. They’re meant to be having a ‘passionate’ and ‘intense’ romance, but it felt to me like Juliette was just taking support from Adam because nobody had ever supported her like that before. The third person in this triangle is Warner: a crazy, psychotic 19 year old who is also apparently mad for Juliette. I didn’t understand where his love for Juliette even came from. It felt like a forced love interest to make the romantic aspect of the story more interesting, but it just didn’t work at all.

If you’re going to read this book, be warned: it is a trilogy. I

didn’t know this when I started to read it, and I realized a the end of this book that there were two more books for me to get through. They were necessary, but if you don’t like to commit to reading any sort of series, this is definitely not the book for you.

Overall, I thought this book was average. The thing I liked the most about it was the characters themselves, but what they did during the course of the book was just strange. The book isn’t original enough either. I would recommend this book only if you really enjoy romance and you don’t mind cliches.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1724081648230631/k2311a0824/8.24.15