The Longest Ride, movie  » Movies  »
  • So, let's just say I definitely didn't have high hopes for this movie
  • About halfway through the film, I started to get a little disappointed
  • Although I would have been happier with a slightly better developed plot, I think that the film was very well put-together in its own right, and it had the desired effect
  • I really enjoyed this film, and I would recommend it to anybody who likes romantic movies

by turtledove

A friend recommended this book to me, and told me that it was an emotional love story which she thought I’d like. So, I went and watched the film in the cinema. It definitely exceeded my expectations.
  • The Longest Ride
  • On seeing that the book was written by Nicholas Sparks, I was put off. I do respect Nicholas Sparks for his successes as a novelist, however I’ve read a few of his books, and found almost all of them to be overly-emotional, soppy romances which I regretted reading. Many people enjoy reading that genre, but I really don’t. I’ve seen ‘The Notebook’ as well - a film adaptation of a different Nicholas Sparks book - and I didn’t enjoy that either. So, let’s just say I definitely didn’t have high hopes for this movie.

• The Longest Ride
  • The movie is based around Luke Collins (Scott Eastwood), a former bull-riding champion and Sophia Danko (Britt Robertson), a clever college student. The two meet, and almost instantly fall in love with each other.

• The Longest Ride
  • However, on finding out that Sophia is moving away, the couple decide to part ways. However, the couple meet Ira Levinson (Alan Alda), who narrates his love story with Ruth (Oona Chaplin) through a series of letters.

• The Longest Ride
  • The characters were built up quite well, and I liked how both Luke and Sophia were passionate about their careers. I liked how realistic it was, and that they were willing to part ways for their future. I liked how it wasn’t this crazy whirlwind romance in which the couple give up everything to be together. I actually grew very attached to the characters, and there were definitely a few very emotional moments during the movie. There were two plots in the movie, and they were handled very well. It was clear which story was which, and the transitions were smooth and clean.

• The Longest Ride
  • About halfway through the film, I started to get a little disappointed. The film began to get predictable, and I could tell what was going to happen. I wanted a little suspense, one or two more twists in the tale, and I felt really let down that it just continued exactly how I was expecting it to. There were plot twists, however I still knew what the ending was, and I was really disappointed by how many coincidences came through during the film.

Although the plot disappointed me a little, the performances were high throughout. I fell in love with Luke’s headstrong attitude, and I was intrigued by Sophia’s passion for art. Both Evans and Danko played their parts to perfection, and although they weren’t realistic characters, they were a joy to watch together on screen. They had a natural chemistry, which made the film more believable.

Overall, this is quite a good film. I enjoyed most things about it. Although I would have been happier with a slightly better developed plot, I think that the film was very well put-together in its own right, and it had the desired effect. I really enjoyed this film, and I would recommend it to anybody who likes romantic movies.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 117081647820231/k2311a087/8.7.15