Memorex miniMove Boombox Speaker System (MI3XPURCA) for iPod - Purple
  • I think earbuds are uncomfortable, but that is just me
  • This electronic accessory also came in pink, black, and blue at the time, but purple is my favorite color so I chose the purple model
  • If you are a listener used to only the most state of the art in stereos, you may not be impressed, but this player suits my semi-regular listening wants and needs, and that’s what counts
  • It is one of the older ones going back to the early 2000s, but that was never an issue from the beginning

• by Jennifer Morris Fouts

I purchased this for myself at a well-known retailer because the “boombox” functionality of mp3 listening was too good to pass up, and becoming more mainstream. I am just not a big fan of “earbud listening”-well, except maybe when taking a stroll in the neighborhood. I think earbuds are uncomfortable, but that is just me. This electronic accessory also came in pink, black, and blue at the time, but purple is my favorite color so I chose the purple model. I have had this nice little boombox/iPod dock cutie for about 3 years and the price was around $30. I shopped around prior to then, seeing that iPod docks can get more expensive the bigger and more featured they get. Considering that my other CD player boombox was also made

by Memorex and only had 2 years of life in it, I took $30 as reasonable.

I also like the nice, ergonomic shape of it…it resembles a woman’s handbag in a way; so I believe this one was made with female mp3 enthusiasts in mind (especially since a pink model is available). It is very lightweight and doesn’t take up space much, whether I am listening in the kitchen, living room, bedroom, or bathroom. It comes with a power adapter, but also accepts 4 AA batteries. Luckily, I only buy the rechargeable Ni-cad batteries, so I am not unconvinced often. Also included is a little remote control for added functionality. It’s tiny, hence the name “mini move”. The device functions as a dock that charges your iPod as well as

plays your tunes. The window in front has a backlight status display; which could almost double as a nightlight when I saw how bright the backlight was in a dark room.

Since there is an antennae on the side, you guessed right that it also has an fm/am radio function; but that part has turned out to be a dud. I have fiddled with it as persistently as I could, but nothing even remotely melodious ever comes out on either am or the fm setting, or the 4 different equalizers. Not even static or white noise…just horrible sounding feedback like CB radio distortion, so I just gave up on that part altogether. If it weren’t for that part, this device might have gotten a superior rating. About the volume, no ...

• Memorex miniMove Boombox Speaker System (MI3XPURCA) for iPod - Purple
      complaints there at all. A volume of 9 suits me fine; this thing is pretty powerful for its small size. If you are a listener used to only the most state of the art in stereos, you may not be impressed, but this player suits my semi-regular listening wants and needs, and that’s what counts.

Regarding the iPod model compatibility, I own a 2nd generation iPod mini. It is one of the older ones going back to the early 2000s, but that was never an issue from the beginning. I have heard from other owners that have one of the Generation 3 and 4 Nanos, the Classics, and the iTouch that fit the Mini Move just fine, however a few of the later models may come with plastic adaptors that may

help them to fit into the dock part, and an auxiliary line input found in the back of the player should make it easier to connect other mp3 models. I do not use the tiny remote much; it is made strictly for volume control, and to turn it on or off (at a short distance) when I tried it out. I do not believe it was made for shuffling one’s playlists.

So if anything does happen to this device after three years of ownership, I would be likely to replace it with a similar model; the size is nice, the weight is great being so light and all, and I am satisfied. Next time I might want a fuschia color as I am one to always want a color different from basic black.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 164081647750331/k2311a084/8.4.15