Epower Mall Black Home Button Flex Cable Replacement for Iphone 5

by John

I purchased this to replace the home button on an Iphone 5. The home button was stuck so it didn’t work at all. FYI, this part does not come with the outer cover. Nothing was wrong with the outer cover on this home button so this was not necessary. I purchased this to replace the part myself instead of taking it to a phone shop, which would have been much more expensive.
  • Epower Mall Black Home Button Flex Cable Replacement for Iphone 5
  • I should mention that I bought this from Amazon.com. It was only $4, so the price wasn’t too bad, particularly when compared to the price of an oem replacement.

• Epower Mall Black Home Button Flex Cable Replacement for Iphone 5
  • It only took about 20 minutes to remove the old home button and install the new one. There were a few difficult parts, but it wasn’t as tough as I expected. There are two screws that have to be removed from the bottom of the phone, these hold the screen in place. You do need a pentalobe tool to get these off. FYI, this tool did not come with this particular home button, so this is something that you’ll need to purchase separately if you don’t already have it.

• Epower Mall Black Home Button Flex Cable Replacement for Iphone 5
  • Unfortunately the pentalobe screws aren’t the only thing holding the screen in place because you also have to unloosen these clamps from the frame. This was a bit more difficult. I attempted to pull the screen up by prying between the frame and the screen, but it was on too tight to come off. I ended up having to use a suction cup on the bottom of the screen near the home button. While pulling up on the suction cup, this created a small opening, and I inserted this spudger into the bottom corner of the frame. From here I just continued to wiggle the screen around and it came out of place. FYI, you should lift the screen from the bottom area, while avoiding the top, as this is where all the cables are located.

• Epower Mall Black Home Button Flex Cable Replacement for Iphone 5
  • This is how the bottom end of the screen was once I got lifted it off the frame. These are the three screws that I had to remove to get the old home button off. I should mention that I didn’t disconnect any of the screen cables. I just flipped the phone over and replaced the buttons with the cables on. However, if you do this you should avoid putting any excess pressure on the screen cables. These cables are pretty thin and extremely fragile, you don’t want to damage these.

• Epower Mall Black Home Button Flex Cable Replacement for Iphone 5
  • I want to note that there is also a small piece of adhesive that has the metal contacts for the button. This thing has some adhesive under it, but it wasn’t tough to remove. If you pry under it this piece immediately comes up. The good thing is that I did not have to put any new adhesive here once I installed the new part. There was sufficient adhesive from the old part so I just stuck the new one on. Next, you can just remove the old home button because there’s nothing else holding it in place.

• Epower Mall Black Home Button Flex Cable Replacement for Iphone 5
  • This is the new home button as I put it in place and put all the screws back in. FYI, I should say that all other parts did go back on as they were taken off. Please refer to the previous photos if you do have trouble putting something back on because I don’t want to be repetitive.

Once I got everything back together, I tested it out. I was fairly pleased because the replacement home button worked the same as the oem button. It’s an excellent part, and I would definitely recommend it!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3710071647140131/k2311a0710/7.10.15