Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - Book
2.5
  • Also, it might be relevant to mention that Outlander was published under the name Cross Stitch in the UK
  • Once again, I picked up a book because of the time travel and ended up with a headache because of the romance

• by Dee

I had decided to read Outlander when the announcements of the Outlander TV show had just started. Gabaldon published this book in 1991 so I wasn’t too upset about being so oblivious about it even though it dealt with time travel. I love time travel. I dived right in and I had high expectations. Also, it might be relevant to mention that Outlander was published under the name Cross Stitch in the UK.

It’s the story of Claire Randall, a British Army nurse recently reunited with her husband Frank following World War II.

They decide to reconnect after the long separation brought on by their work during the war by going on a second honeymoon to Scotland. They chose the town of Inverness so that Frank may have the opportunity to research his heritage and family history. When Claire visits the standing stones on the hill of Craigh na Dun, an important place of Scottish lore, she is transported from the year 1945 to the 18th century.

I should mention that this novel is incredibly outlandish and never really outgrows its own ludicrousness. It’s basically a

steamy romance story with a twist. It’s elevated by the high stakes of the dangerous situation Claire ends up in, and brought down by the sacrifices it suffers in order to prolong the story into several more novels. I was willing to give certain things a pass because the plot is set in the 18th century when the world is a different place, but it still detracted from the overall enjoyment of the story. I’d like to advise you not to expect a lot out of this novel and to read it ...

• Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - Book
      for the romance and the history. You won’t find it hard to find issues with this book and I’m hereby warning everyone that this novel contains adultery, violence, rape, wife beating and homophobia. I’ve concluded that all of those could’ve been better executed and not used so cheaply if they had to have been used at all. This is why many readers have been upset.

Once again, I picked up a book because of the time travel and ended up with a headache because of the romance. I rated it as average, but

sometimes I wonder if I should be more upset about the rampant justifications of all the deplorable things that happened in this story. I say this because I find a good portion of this novel questionable: the author spends a lot of time ensuring the reader believes in the nobility of the romance of Claire and Jamie. I suppose you’ll either love this novel or hate it, though I’ve tried to judge it fairly and got a headache for it. I haven’t finished Dragonfly in Amber, the second book in the series.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 179071647080631/k2311a079/7.9.15