The Amazing Spider-Man 2, movie  » Movies  »
2.0
  • While I was wary of rebooting the Spider-Man franchise so soon after Sam Raimi's franchise was launched, I actually rather enjoyed 'The Amazing Spider-Man'
  • It's odd, you'd think that they would know to avoid those traps, but it does it nonetheless
  • The main problem is that the movie is too crowded
  • I know, movies like this rely on a lot of CGI, but they looked like cut scenes from a video game
  • I wouldn't rank it as one of the worst comic based movies out there, but I don't think it brings enough to the table to warrant devoting time towards either

• by David Finniss

While I was wary of rebooting the Spider-Man franchise so soon after Sam Raimi’s franchise was launched, I actually rather enjoyed ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’. It had a strong cast and did enough to stand on its own as opposed to just feeling like a carbon copy of the original film.

I was looking forward to a sequel as they can often surpass the original. Sadly, that isn’t the case here. Where the original Spider-Man 2 was fantastic (and I still rank it as one of the all time greatest super-hero movies) this one falls rather flat.

Interestingly, it makes the same mistake that the third movie did. It’s odd, you’d think that they would know to avoid those traps, but it does it nonetheless.

The main problem is that the movie is too crowded. It has several villains and subplots

that need to be dealt with. As such, they feel rushed, when really, any of them could have made for a movie in their own right.

This especially holds true with the Harry Osborne/Goblin plot. The last film had Harry as a recurring character, which made his downfall more powerful. Here, he just kind of shows up. Credit to the actor, he does a good job with what he has, but we don’t connect with him as much as we did in the prior franchise.

Electro also suffers from problems as he comes off more like something you’d see in “Batman and Robin”. The way he’s portrayed both pre and post villain turn is so cartoonish that they don’t feel natural.

Speaking of cartoonish, even the big fight scenes didn’t really do anything for me. I know, movies like this rely on a lot of CGI, but they looked like cut scenes from a video game. They were really good cutscenes, mind you, but even so, it took me out of the movie when it never seemed like Spider-Man was there. In some respects, it would have worked better if they had just made an animated movie. At least then, it would have been consistent.

The subplot about Peter’s parents could have been interesting. I get that they wanted to give Peter a journey, but I don’t think the revelation actually amounts to anything. It feels like a waste of your time.

The movie takes up a lot of time, too. It runs at 2 and a half hours and you start to feel it. After the final fight with Electro, I felt like ...

• The Amazing Spider-Man 2, movie
      the movie could start wrapping up, but I knew that there was still another big villain fight to do. It gets kind of tiring, to be honest.

Yet, with all the problems, there is a lot to like about the movie. In some respects, it makes the movie that much more frustrating.

Both Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone remain perfectly charming as Peter and Gwen respectively. They get stuck with some bad dialogue here and there, but by and large you still like these characters and want to see them happy.

I also loved seeing Spidey’s rapport with people. He really comes off as the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. He makes a point to learn people’s names and makes small talk with people he comes across.

Odd as it may sound, those were my favorite parts of the

movie. When Spidey saves a kid from a bully and helps said kid put his broken school project back together, it warms the cockles of your heart. I also loved Spidey’s attempt to talk Electro down when the latter first arrives on the scene. That scene was one of the standout moments of the whole movie for me.

Sadly, the movie is a disappointment. I really thought that the franchise could have gone places, but it looks like this one is dead in the water. It’s a bit ironic as the movie tries really hard to lay the groundwork for a shared universe, but it was all for naught. I wouldn’t rank it as one of the worst comic based movies out there, but I don’t think it brings enough to the table to warrant devoting time towards either.

christopher says :

the special effects are good though i still prefer the tobey mc guire spidey but not bad. i love it new plot twist for ms. stacey.

Aadil Rawal says :

Tobey Mcguire was the best Spider-Man, however, the latest Spider-man is still not bad though. The first Spiderman movies were thrilling to watch you don’t know what would come ahead, however, when watching the latest spiderman flicks, the movies are too predictive as you already know the story.

quick note by anonymous :

Always addited to spiderman series special effects are good characterization is effective

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 116071646670631/k2311a076/7.6.15