DIY Version of Kentucky Fried Chicken Rgular Recipie  » Recipes  »
  • However, its one of my kids' favorite meals and I want to give them things they like within reason
  • Now it is really important that you place the chicken into the oil with tongs to avoid burning your self and use the tongs throughout the frying process to keep the chicken evenly cooked
  • I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes Kentucky Fried Chicken

by Jennifer Davis

My kids love Kentucky fried chicken, but the fact is that KFC is getting way too expensive for a family to eat. However, its one of my kids’ favorite meals and I want to give them things they like within reason. So in order to do that I made my own and it turned out really great!

Here is the recipe:

6 to 8 pieces of chicken (we used legs and wings because I had them in the freezer, but any type you want is good too)

1.5 cups of all-purpose flour

1-teaspoon of baking soda (I don’t really know exactly what this does but it is a necessity, the chicken just doesn’t turn out right without it)

1 packet of dry Italian Dressing Powder (I used the Kroger brand because that’s what I had, but whatever you choose will be good) Also, ranch might be a yummy flavor too if you and your family are more partial to the flavor of ranch.

1 to 3 large eggs (how many eggs you use depends on how many pieces of chicken you use, I only used one egg because I only made 6 pieces of chicken)

2/3 cup of milk

1 tablespoon black pepper

Vegetable oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet.

1 envelope of powdered tomato soup mix (optional, but it does add a really nice flavor to the chicken)

• DIY Version of Kentucky Fried Chicken Rgular Recipie
  • Above I used a large white ceramic bowl to mix all of my dry ingredients. This includes, the Italian dressing mix, the tomato soup mix, flour, baking soda and black pepper. I did not add any extra salt because I felt that between the tomato soup mix and the Italian seasoning mix, that the chicken would be salty enough. Actually, it turned out that it still needed a pinch of salt so go ahead and add that at this point as well.

• DIY Version of Kentucky Fried Chicken Rgular Recipie
  • Above is a single egg in milk. I added nothing else. At this point you will want to stir the egg and milk together and begin breading your chicken. Dip the chicken into the egg mixture first and then the flour, I repeated this process twice, letting each piece rest on a rack in between breading to allow the skin and skin to absorb the breading and the seasoning. After the second coating, allow the chicken o rest for a few minutes while you clean up the breading and egg wash as well as begin heating the oil. Don’t begin heating the oil before this step as it will burn and you will be at an increased risk for fire and your chicken will taste like burned oil. In total this should take about 5 to 7 minutes. The oil should be about 350 degrees, I used a cooking thermometer to have an exact temperature, but you can tell that it is to the right temperature when the oil gets shimmery.

• DIY Version of Kentucky Fried Chicken Rgular Recipie
  • Here you can see above what my chicken looked like immediately after I put it into my skillet. The chicken should fry for 15 to 18 minutes depending on how thick your chicken is. I was only using wings and legs so it only took 15. Now it is really important that you place the chicken into the oil with tongs to avoid burning your self and use the tongs throughout the frying process to keep the chicken evenly cooked.

• DIY Version of Kentucky Fried Chicken Rgular Recipie
  • Above is what my chicken looked like after about 13 minutes. You’ll notice the chicken is golden brown and the meat appears white. I left my chicken in the oil for another two minutes for a darker color and too ensure that the meat would be done.

Once frying is done, place the chicken pieces in a cloth towel or paper towel so that they can rest and the excess oil can drain off. This also allows the breading to harden and the meat inside to cool completely.

• DIY Version of Kentucky Fried Chicken Rgular Recipie
  • Above is a close up picture of what the chicken looks like after is has set for about 5 minutes or so. At this point you can begin to help yourself and enjoy!

Overall, I was pretty happy with the recipe. The one thing that I might have done was de-skinned the chicken to make it a little healthier. If you opt to do this soak the de-skinned chicken in a brine solution for a few hours to keep the chicken moist during the frying process.

However, the taste was pretty similar to KFC ad my kids loved it. We still go to Kentucky Fried Chicken every now and then, but not very often. In the end this tastes just as good and its cheaper. Also, one thing that I appreciate about doing DIY things like this is that I can track how clean the environment is and how much salt and seasonings are used.

I definitely recommend this to anyone who likes Kentucky Fried Chicken.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4924061646380130/k2311a0624/6.24.15