elf Studio Stipple Brush  » Cosmetics  »
2.5
  • But I have noticed that when I use this brush to apply liquid foundation, it has a tendency to leave streaks and I have to switch to a blending brush
  • I think the bristles are to blame - they are too long and too sparse
  • With the exception of the bristles, which I think are too long, I like the size and weight of this brush and how it feels in my hand
  • Compared to other brushes, including other brushes by the same brand, I have also noticed that these bristles stain easily
  • It certainly isn't the worst stipple brush in the world and I certainly prefer it over applying foundation with my fingers or a sponge, but it's not the best

• by Marley Justine

A few months ago, I purchased the elf Studio Stipple Brush online from the elf Cosmetics website. I didn’t use this brush very often immediately after it arrived, but when I did use it, I don’t remember having any complaints. I do remember focusing on how soft the bristles felt and the fact that it didn’t seem to be shedding at all. It was like I was in some sort of “honeymoon phase”.

After having the brush for over a month, I started using it more often and the “honeymoon phase” I had been caught up in came to an abrupt end. Suddenly, I was forced to

face reality - my $3 stipple brush wasn’t perfect.

While the bristles stayed soft, after washing this brush for the first time, I started to notice it was shedding. Shedding was not excessive, but it seemed every time I used this brush I had to pull a stray bristle from my cheek or forehead. It’s annoying more than anything, but if it continues to lose bristles on a daily basis, how much longer is it going to last?

According to the product description on the elf Cosmetics website, this brush can be used with both wet and dry products. I cannot comment on the brush’s compatibility with dry products as I have only used it with liquid foundations and cream blushes.

Using the elf Studio Stipple Brush to apply liquid foundation, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get “cake face”. But I have noticed that when I use this brush to apply liquid foundation, it has a tendency to leave streaks and I have to switch to a blending brush. I think the bristles are to blame - they are too long and too sparse.

With the exception of the bristles, which I think are too long, I like the size and weight of this brush and how it feels in ...

• elf Studio Stipple Brush
      my hand. I don’t find it looks cheap and the brush itself doesn’t feel cheap but the length of the bristles seems to make it feel flimsy and certainly reduces the amount of control you have.

Compared to other brushes, including other brushes by the same brand, I have also noticed that these bristles stain easily. I have not been able to remove excess foundation or blush using a daily brush cleansing spray but instead, these brushes require a thorough washing and even then, the results aren’t perfect.

For $3, I do not regret buying this brush. I would sooner regret paying $22+ for a stipple brush, regardless

of how well it worked, because for me, a high-end stipple brush is not a necessity. Right now, I consider this to be a very average brush. It certainly isn’t the worst stipple brush in the world and I certainly prefer it over applying foundation with my fingers or a sponge, but it’s not the best. I will continue to play around and experiment with the elf Studio Stipple Brush. At the moment, repurchasing is unlikely but not out of the question.

If you’re going to purchase this brush, manage your expectations. If you know that you are looking for a high-quality stipple brush, purchase a high-quality stipple brush.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3117061646141030/k2311a0617/6.17.15