Magnum Almond Ice Cream Bar  » Food  »
1.0
  • In particular, the one I wanted to try the most was the almond bar because I enjoy almonds
  • Unfortunately, the retail price for this dessert often made me rethink this purchase
  • Considering this same box would have cost me $5, I initially considered this a great deal for a novelty ice cream
  • I think this product is over rated and regular ice cream bars can easily compete and win against Magnum
  • I wish I could say that maybe it is just the almond bar that is lacking substance, but at the price, I will not consider attempting to purchase another flavor

• by Desiree Drummond

There have been countless commercials advertising the magnum ice cream bars on television in the last few months. This was not the first time I saw them on television, but the novelty ice cream seemed like something I wanted to try. It is advertised as having Belgian chocolate over creamy vanilla ice cream. In particular, the one I wanted to try the most was the almond bar because I enjoy almonds. Unfortunately, the retail price for this dessert often made me rethink this purchase. I even tried stores like Walmart or Target that may sell the bars for a cheaper price just so I can try them, but the price was the same.

However, I visited my local Giant store today and saw the bars were on sale for $3.50. Now considering I can normally purchase regular ice cream bars for the same price and receive more, I was still hesitant, but decided to take the plunge. Thankfully someone left a coupon for $0.75 off of a box of Magnum bars in the freezer and I was able to get one box of three bars for $2.75. Considering this same box would have cost me $5, I initially considered this a great deal for a novelty ice cream. Unfortunately, my excitement of saving money did not match my taste buds.

To begin, I understand this is not your everyday ice cream bar, and is more of a special occasion treat. However, the box that contained the three bars was quite small considering the price regardless of the discounts received today. The disappointment continued when an ice cream bar was taken out of the box to reveal the size. I suppose I was still fascinated from the rich and tasty looking treat from the commercials, but this dessert so far had not met my expectations. The wrapper was a nice golden color that almost resembled the golden tickets from the Willy Wonka chocolate bars in the movie, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. It gave the impression that this ice cream was ...

• Magnum Almond Ice Cream Bar
      something to be desired no matter how small. Upon opening the package, I realized the ice cream bar was only half the size of the wrapper. This observation only led to more disappointment.

The bar chosen was the Magnum Almond Bar. Somehow I convinced myself that pieces of crunchy almonds would be inside of the bar as well as on the outside in the chocolate. The almonds were on the outside of the bar, but I could not taste the actual almonds. The first bite of the Magnum bar was completely forgettable. Where was the indulgence and excitement that should be driving me to want more? It was absent. The ice cream was sub

par and nothing to brag about. I have tasted better ice cream from the store. I will say the vanilla ice cream inside was a nice creamy texture but not worth the $5 retail price or even paying the cost of a half-gallon carton of creamy vanilla ice cream that could feed more than three people.

I think this product is over rated and “regular” ice cream bars can easily compete and win against Magnum. I wish I could say that maybe it is just the almond bar that is lacking substance, but at the price, I will not consider attempting to purchase another flavor. Hopefully someone else will have better luck than myself.

Max says :

re : Unfortunately, the retail price for this dessert often made me rethink this purchase
I had a free sample of the regular Magnum bars at the store one day and loved it. Almonds are great on ice cream so this has to be amazing, but the price is a little high for a couple of ice cream bars. If the price was lowered I would probably be buying these every time I go to the store. I would rate them really good if the price was lowered. Try it out maybe the price won’t effect you and you might just find your new favorite night time snack.

Desiree replies :

I wasn’t impressed with the almond version at all because it seemed to lack the actual almonds. I have heard of the classic bars being okay, but for the price I would not try again unless given as a free sample. Even in my local store, the cost of one bar is almost $ 3.00 without any discount.

Max says :

I completly agree but someone might want to spend that money for it.

Jack says :

I absolutely love almonds and magnum and when I saw this advertised I just couldn’t resist, the creaminess and taste of magnum with one of my favorite nuts was just delicious and I extremely recommend this to any almond lover.

Shagun says :

I completely agree Magnum bars are my new favorite ice cream :)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2715061646071230/k2311a0615/6.15.15