Seattle Cider Co. Dry Hard Cider  » Food  »
  • If you decide to splurge on this, you might be disappointed by some of its other qualities
  • Most six-packs of cider don’t go above $9, and this was a brand I hadn’t tried before, but I decided to give it a shot anyways
  • Not only is the design of the can modern (I especially love the font they used
  • Granny Smith, Fuji, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious and Gala

by Amber Young

Anyone who knows me knows that I don’t like the “girly” drinks, the sweet drinks that have so much sugar in them, you need whiskey as a chaser. This is especially true when it comes to hard cider. Apples are naturally a sweet fruit, and they’re what a lot of hard cider is made from, although you can get flavors that have a pear or raspberry base (just to name a couple examples). But I love apple cider. I just don’t like it to be really sweet. Some would say I want it almost unsweetened.
  • Seattle Cider Co. Dry Hard Cider
  • I tried Seattle Cider Company’s “Dry Hard Cider” in hopes that I would find a hard cider that wasn’t sickening to my taste buds, and I hit the jackpot. Not only is it made from all-natural ingredients, but like other hard ciders, it’s entirely gluten-free. This is important to me because I have somewhat of a sensitivity to gluten. But buyer beware: If you decide to splurge on this, you might be disappointed by some of its other qualities.

• Seattle Cider Co. Dry Hard Cider
  • Seattle Cider Co. claims to be “not your standard cider.” At the price of $9.99 for just a four-pack, I should hope it would be better than standard. Most six-packs of cider don’t go above $9, and this was a brand I hadn’t tried before, but I decided to give it a shot anyways.

• Seattle Cider Co. Dry Hard Cider
  • The cider doesn’t disappoint when it comes to advertising. Not only is the design of the can modern (I especially love the font they used; it’s a classy-looking can), but the taste is just as it says: dry. I don’t typically drink wine. I avoid dry wine in particular. However, this cider was pleasantly tart with just the right amount of sweetness to offset the dryness.

• Seattle Cider Co. Dry Hard Cider
  • It’s got a nice yellow-orange tint, though I think a more golden color would look more appealing. Maybe it’s the beer-drinker in me that gravitates toward golden hues. Either way, the taste matter more than the color. The description on Seattle Cider Co.’s website says the cider is made from five different apples: Granny Smith, Fuji, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious and Gala. That’s a lot of different apples.

• Seattle Cider Co. Dry Hard Cider
  • I think their aim to put a burst of flavor in every sip was a bit overachieving. There were too many flavors for me to sift through to taste any particular one, and although the taste of it really hit the spot on a hot day, I wouldn’t have been able to tell you what flavors were in it without looking it up on the site. The can’s description also says there are “notes of lilac.” We have lilac bushes in our yard, and I can tell you this cider did not smell of any lilac. Nor did it smell like blood orange. If I really concentrated, I could smell the green apple, but it doesn’t have much of an aroma overall compared to other ciders.

The most disappointing was the carbonation. It doesn’t take long to lose its fizz. In fact, it takes under ten minutes for the carbonation to completely dissipate, so drink it fast. I don’t know if it’s because it’s in a can rather than a glass bottle, or if the drink just can’t hold the carbonation, but no one likes a flat cider. You may as well be drinking warm apple juice. That’s exactly what this drink tastes like after it loses the fizz.

If this drink has one thing going for it, it’s the alcohol content. It hangs steady at 6.5%, which isn’t too shabby for a hard cider. It’s just as strong as most beers, and for some, even stronger. Fortunately, there are establishments that have it on tap, so if you get the chance to drink it at a bar, skip the can and go for the tap. It’ll taste better, and who knows! Maybe the carbonation will last for more than ten minutes!

I give this product a 6/10. All-natural ingredients and minimal sugar can’t make up for the high price and quick deterioration of the drink once opened. Skip this one and just get the Stella Artois Cidre; it’s not too sweet and it has a lower price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2715061646041230/k2311a0615/6.15.15