Mesa Boogie Throttle Box distortion pedal
  • Considering the fact that I have been playing for almost 15 years now I had my fair share of distortion pedals at my disposal, and this pedal is one of the best ones on the market for the money, in my opinion
  • The new version of this pedal has an equalizer built in, so I guess it is a more versatile one but I think that this pedal does the job pretty well, and so far, it has been able to satisfy my every need
  • Regarding the sounds that you can get from the aformentioned stompbox, I recommend to take a look at the manual and to try the suggested presets just to get an idea of what this pedal actually sounds like, and from there, fine-tune your own sweet spot
  • With the mid cut set to one o`clock or more you get that 'true' metal scooped sound, and if you set the aformentioned knob below twelve o` clock, you will get more of that, in my opinion, amplike sound
  • The design of this unit is rather ellegant and it look awesome on stage and in the pedalboard, and regarding the size of the unit, I must say it is very practical and it is not any bigger than the standard stompboxes on the market so it can be put in any kind of pedalboard

by guitarhero83

I own a Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier amplifier and I wanted the same distortion that this amp offers available in a stomp box format, for a variety of situations where my amp was not suitable to use. It is nice to have a Mesa Boogie quality distortion sound always available for jamming without having to lit up all the gear that I usually use on larger gigs and for rehearsals. This pedal is not cheap but it does the job very well and it has a more organic and amplike sound than any other pedals I owned. Considering the fact that I have been playing for almost 15 years now I had my fair share of distortion pedals at my disposal, and this pedal is one of the best ones on the market for the money, in my opinion.

The new version of this pedal has an equalizer built in, so I guess it is a more versatile one but I think that this pedal does the job pretty well, and so far, it has been able to satisfy my every need.

• Mesa Boogie Throttle Box distortion pedal
  • Regarding the built and durability of the product, I think that it is made very solid and should endure the life on the road very well. But in most cases, this kind of stompboxes are put in pedalboards (or at least should be), so there is no danger of breaking it, unless you throw it from the top of a ten floor building

• Mesa Boogie Throttle Box distortion pedal
  • The pedal is very user friendly. There are four knobs (level, gain, mid cut and tone), and a switch that enables the high gain option and a low gain option. This enables the pedal to have a large variety of sounds from hard rock (think AC/DC) and believe it or not, also the blues can be played with this pedal if you tweak the knobs the right way, and all the way to high distortion metal sounds (think Metallica, Dream Theater, etc…) Take in consideration that a lot depends of the quality of the amp before you put this stopbox in. I use it in the studio and for some smaller gigs where my Laney Ironheart irh Studio is more than enough and this pedal in front of that amp makes a heavenly sound come out and it really gives me a lot of options and a lot of sound possibilities.

• Mesa Boogie Throttle Box distortion pedal
  • As I said before, this pedal emulates the distortion channel of the mesa boogie rectifier amps and I myself did the A/B test to see if it is really true, and let me be honest, no pedal can replicate a hundred percent the sound of a tube amp, but this pedal got very close to that, and if you tweak the equalization on your amp, you can get a mindblowing good mesa boogie rectifier distortion sound out of it. Regarding the sounds that you can get from the aformentioned stompbox, I recommend to take a look at the manual and to try the suggested presets just to get an idea of what this pedal actually sounds like, and from there, fine-tune your own sweet spot. I think that this is the best way to go for all the gear. All the controls are pretty straightforward but the most important ones are the mid cut knob and the distortion knob. With the mid cut set to one o`clock or more you get that ‘true’ metal scooped sound, and if you set the aformentioned knob below twelve o` clock, you will get more of that, in my opinion, amplike sound.

• Mesa Boogie Throttle Box distortion pedal
  • The distortion knob set to more than one o`clock I think is pointless, because all the definition is lost and it just gets too messy. But again it is a matter of taste. Some people might just like that. The tone knob has a little use in my oppinion. With it you can brighten or darken the sound a little.

The one thing I recommend is to put the Ibanez Tube Screamer in front of the Mesa Boogie Throttle Box and you will get that extra push to make the pedal really sound awesome. The pedal has a true bypass switch. When it is off you can not tell it is there. When it is on it is fairly quiet and does not cause any noticeable noise.

The design of this unit is rather ellegant and it look awesome on stage and in the pedalboard, and regarding the size of the unit, I must say it is very practical and it is not any bigger than the standard stompboxes on the market so it can be put in any kind of pedalboard. The Mesa Boogie Throttle box distortion pedal can be powered by a nine volt battery or a standard nine volt adapter so there are no worries for powering this stompbox.

• Mesa Boogie Throttle Box distortion pedal
  • Another feature that this pedal has is the boost switch located inside the pedal. That means that you have to open it and remove the battery to access it easier. This feature gives the pedal more boost (obviously) and more volume. The way I use this feature is OFF when I play at home and do not want to be loud when I just practice, and I switch it ON bassically any other time.

The Mesa Boogie Throttle Box distortion pedal is a very good product and the value for the price is reasonable. It is very easy to learn how to use it even without the manual. I have been using it for a year now and I must say that I am very satisfied with it, and it have not let me down yet. I would recommend this pedal to everyone who looks for a high quality distortion with an amplike sound and is willing to pay a little bit extra money for it. A highly recommended product, indeed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1610061645850730/k2311a0610/6.10.15