Nissan Altima Engine Coolant Thermostat (Beck Arnley 143-0818)  » Cars  »
  • Once I got the old one removed everything bolted back on without issue
  • I would also suggest checking the gasket for damage before putting it back on because if it's damaged you'll definitely have leaks

by John

I’ve had to do lots of work on my Altima, and I replaced the thermostat along with several other parts. I replaced the thermostat because it was not opening all the way, which was causing the engine to slightly overheat. I put this onto an 05 model, but they are the same parts for the 02-06 models. I purchased it from Amazon for $15. After it was installed it works as intended and my engine no longer overheats.
  • Beck Arnley 143-0818 Engine Coolant Thermostat
  • I probably don’t have to tell you if you’ve worked on this model before, but it has a total of two thermostats-one on the left side of the engine, and one on the right. Both thermostats are designed the same so this part will work for either one. However, the one that I replaced is on the right side, which is the same side as the battery.

• Beck Arnley 143-0818 Engine Coolant Thermostat
  • The thermostat housing is located is in a fairly tight area. To get some additional working room, I removed the back end of the intake, which is the black item in the photo. You’ll have to loosen the bolt on the clamp, and it just slides off.

• Beck Arnley 143-0818 Engine Coolant Thermostat
  • There are three hoses on the thermostat housing and these have to be removed. I used pliers on the clamps while removing the hoses. These clamps are a bit tougher than they look and there’s tons of resistance when trying to remove them. The two small hoses came off in no time but the larger hose is more difficult. I had to put a large pair of pliers on it and yank it away from the housing because it was almost stuck on.

• Beck Arnley 143-0818 Engine Coolant Thermostat
  • The harness that’s attached to the housing has to be removed as shown in the photo. I used pliers to push in the tab and it came right off. However, you should be diligent with the pliers because you don’t want to damage any wires.

• Beck Arnley 143-0818 Engine Coolant Thermostat
  • This is a photo after I removed all the bolts and unmounted the housing from the engine. There are a total of 4 bolts that have to be removed. You’ll need a 12mm socket wrench to remove these. Three bolts are located at the top of the housing and these are not too difficult. The bottom bolt will probably give you the most trouble. You can’t see this bolt which is why it’s difficult. I used a socket extension, and I finally got it removed, but it was time-consuming. The housing was stuck to the engine so after removing the bolts I had to tap it with a hammer to knock it out of place. There is also a metal pipe to the right of the housing. This pipe barely moves at all and it’s very tough, but you’ll have to slide it to the right about an inch to get the housing off.

• Beck Arnley 143-0818 Engine Coolant Thermostat
  • After I removed the housing I again used the pliers to pull the old thermostat out of the housing. There was a bunch of corrosion and build-up on the housing. I used a scraper to remove this before putting the new thermostat on.

• Beck Arnley 143-0818 Engine Coolant Thermostat
  • Once I got the old one removed everything bolted back on without issue. This photo is of the thermostat and housing once it’s bolted back on. I essentially had to do everything in reverse. Be sure to put all three bolts back on as they came off. The bolts are different sizes so put them back in the hole they came out of. One tip I would give is to monitor the gasket while you’re screwing the housing back on. Make sure it doesn’t move or fold before it’s bolted on. I would also suggest checking the gasket for damage before putting it back on because if it’s damaged you’ll definitely have leaks.

Altogether, I have to say the part is excellent because my engine no longer overheats. I would definitely recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 99061645750730/k2311a069/6.9.15