Avengers: Age of Ultron - Superhero Movie (2015)  » Movies  »
  • Iron Man in his Hulkbuster fighting Hulk in an effort to calm him down was one of favourite scenes
  • This was interesting at first but it ruined the whole movie for me because it didn't really advance the story and Tony Stark was forgiven way too quickly for what he did
  • Later when his face is scrunched up angrily and he lifts Tony Stark off the ground as if he weighed nothing, I found myself chuckling again
  • I thought Jeremy Renner did an outstanding job in his role
  • However, the movie does nothing to advance the quest against Thanos and thus I recommend this to be a one-time watch

by Moe

Being a big Marvel fan, and having loved ‘The Avengers’ movie of 2012, I had high expectations for its sequel, Avengers: Age of Ultron. While the movie was watchable, I was let down by a seemingly weak story line and lost acting. I wasn’t satisfied with the movie and I left the theater feeling that it should have been better.

The movie opens up with a fight scene involving The Avengers (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye, Hulk and Black Widow) and a group involved with Hydra that through experimentation on humans via Loki’s scepter, has created powers within twins, Pietro and Wanda Maximoff. Pietro is gifted with speed and Wanda has the ability to manipulate the minds of her targets- she is able to do this to Iron Man at the start of the film, causing him to have a vision where all of his fellow Avengers have fallen.

The vision motivates Tony Stark (Iron Man) to convince Bruce Banner (Hulk) to help him finish Ultron, which is essentially a type of artificial intelligence, using Loki’s scepter (which they took back in the first battle). This creates major problems as Ultron decides that the way to peace is to destroy the human race. Stealing Loki’s scepter, he wreaks havoc and manipulates Pietro and Wanda to work with him. They soon become disillusioned with his ways as his destructive ways become more apparent. Ultron begins building an army which the Avengers must take down to ensure that the human race survives.

I expected Avengers: Age of Ultron to be about the Avengers making headway in their eventual quest to confront Thanos. However this movie was more like a filler movie in that the story completely revolved around the Avengers trying to fix Tony Stark’s mistake.

The movie seemed slow-paced because there was a lot of fighting that wasn’t engaging and the dialogue, while crisp, didn’t do much to advance the individuality of each character.

Visually, the movie was stunning, especially some of the fight scenes. Iron Man in his Hulkbuster fighting Hulk in an effort to calm him down was one of favourite scenes. I didn’t think Iron Man could handle Hulk at all. I watched the movie in IMAX 3D, so I fully got to appreciate the nuances of the film. For example every time Hawkeye shot his arrows, it felt like it was coming right at me. Kudos to the director on at least getting the visuals right.

• Avengers: Age of Ultron - Superhero Movie (2015)
  • This is Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/ Iron Man. He wasn’t as charismatic or as powerful or infallible as he seemed be in the Iron Man films or the previous Avenger films. He seemed lost throughout the film and that could be because the movie was dominated by a weak story line and it was crammed with too many main leads.

Also in many ways Tony Stark could be considered the villain of the film because it was because of his actions that Ultron was bent on destroying the human race. This was interesting at first but it ruined the whole movie for me because it didn’t really advance the story and Tony Stark was forgiven way too quickly for what he did.

I did however enjoy the scene where Wanda manipulates his mind so that he hallucinates a vision of his fellow Avengers having fallen. In that scene he showed desperation, urgency and fear that something bad was going to happen to them.

• Avengers: Age of Ultron - Superhero Movie (2015)
  • From left to right: Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/ Captain America and Chris Hemsworth as Thor.

Chris Evans did an average job in his role. When each Avenger stars in their own movie, there’s much more scope for them but putting all the main leads in one movie doesn’t allow for much flexibility.

Chris Hemsworth was as usual a kick-ass Thor. His character could’ve been used better in the film however I personally found his facial expressions to be rather amusing. Firstly, his fearful expression which changes to relief when he sees that Captain America is able to move his hammer but not lift it was a good little scene in the movie. Later when his face is scrunched up angrily and he lifts Tony Stark off the ground as if he weighed nothing, I found myself chuckling again. Lastly his face shows utter shock when The Vision lifts his hammer without effort and had me laughing again.

It’s not a good thing that I found Thor to be comedic, because his presence in the film should’ve been more action oriented and serious.

• Avengers: Age of Ultron - Superhero Movie (2015)
  • From left to right: Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner/The Hulk (in Hulk form in the picture) and Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow. I chose this particular picture because it was a great scene in the movie. When Bruce Banner becomes Hulk, he’s always in a state of anger. When the transformation is complete he is usually out of control and it often takes immense effort to calm him down. Black Widow, who throughout the movie demonstrates that she has mutual feelings for him, is able to calm him down by singing him a lullaby. It’s one of the few moments in the movie that depicted true emotion. The chemistry between Mark Ruffalo and Scarlett Johansson was executed well. I was a bit let down by Black Widow’s characterization, especially during the scene where she gets kidnapped and waits to get rescued by the Hulk. So much of her character is not as bold and brave as it was in the previous movie. Her only purpose seemed to be to serve as a love interest for the Hulk.

• Avengers: Age of Ultron - Superhero Movie (2015)
  • This is Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye. Hawkeye isn’t gifted with super strength or a powerful suit and has to rely on his archery. He proves himself to be a worthy Avenger being able to handle at least one of the Maximoff twins, despite his lack of powers, something that his fellow Avengers struggled with. I thought Jeremy Renner did an outstanding job in his role. From muttering wise remarks, to his amazing archery skills, he truly did justice to his role. I’m glad the directors decided to show more of his family in the movie which gave us a glimpse to how his personal life is really like. Of all the Avengers in the movie, Hawkeye was the only one I believe got the amount of screen space he was due.

• Avengers: Age of Ultron - Superhero Movie (2015)
  • From left to right: Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda and Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Pietro Maximoff, twins with powers. Their inclusion in the film wasn’t necessary but nevertheless it was interesting to watch. They both acted well, especially Elizabeth Olsen. Her mind manipulating tactics was what led Tony Stark to make a mistake that drove the whole Avengers film. It was a touching moment when Pietro sacrificed himself to save Hawkeye, whom he’d been fighting against for most of the movie.

I must say the ‘Russian’ accent the twins tried to speak in, was terrible. It sounded a cross between an American and an Italian accent.

Avengers: Age of Ultron is a passable sequel to it’s predecessor but it doesn’t excel in any areas. Let down by a predictable and pointless plot, the movie drags on and is quite boring at least halfway into the movie. The movie does have its moments with some captivating fight scenes and some sweet, romantic moments between the Hulk and the Black Widow. However, the movie does nothing to advance the quest against Thanos and thus I recommend this to be a one-time watch.

Carolina says :

re : I thought Jeremy Renner did an outstanding job in his role
Yes I think he did a good job at playing Clint Barton (Hawkeye)
He looks very similar the character and as a comic book fan I could say he made it feel like Clint was there

Moe replies :

Yeah definitely agree. It was refreshing to have him in the movie

Tiffany says :

re : This was interesting at first but it ruined the whole movie for me because it didn’t really advance the story and Tony Stark was forgiven way too quickly for what he did
Ultron being a bad guy that the avengers themselves created has always bothered me. They have been building up the Thanos story line with the different credit scenes from different movies, and they didn’t really touch on this story at all in this movie. Tony Stark has essentially been the reason for the last two movies villain’s plans (the arc reactor that Loki uses to open the portal in the 1st movie and now Ultron), but Tony Stark is usually the one saving the day in the avengers movies. That is what I find disappointing. All of them have their moments when they shine, but it feels like the team is always just Iron Man. Don’t get me wrong, I love Iron Man, but it would be nice to see one of the other avengers sacrifice themselves or come up with the plan to defeat whoever they are fighting.

The Hulk and black widow story line didn’t make much sense to me since Black Widow and Captain America seemed to get close in "Winter Soldier" and all the sudden she likes Bruce Banner? I don’t like the way this portrays her character as the only woman on the team. If Marvel is going to pursue this story, Bruce should contribute more in the way of talking.

Andrew Leither says :

I have yet to see this movie and I seen the first movie Avengers, but I think that Avengers: Age of Ultron was much better and stronger more fun, by knowing that I have friends who have seen it and very impressed

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 114061645520730/k2311a064/6.4.15