DIY Fried Ice Cream Balls  » Recipes  »
  • One of my family’s absolute favorite foods to get at the fair is deep fried ice cream
  • I learned this was one of my biggest problems I was not putting it back into the fridge nearly long enough
  • I learned here that part of my problem I had before was that I was letting them rest in one position for too long and they were just leaking everywhere
  • I loved this recipe and I will definitely do it again

by Jennifer Davis

One of my family’s absolute favorite foods to get at the fair is deep fried ice cream. I have tried to make it for my kids before and it was an absolute mess. I quit making it for a while, but they started asking for it again so I went online to discover a recipe that would help me make successful deep fried ice cream. I did find a recipe that works, so here it is.

The recipe includes: 5 cups corn flakes cereal (I just used the generic brand because that’s what I have, but I’m sure the name brand will work fine too); 1/2 cup salted butter; 2 tsp ground cinnamon and vanilla bean ice-cream (I used the Kroger brand because that’s what I had in the freezer, but I’m sure any kind will work) it needs to be firm enough to shape but just soft enough to scoop. Also, you can get any other toppings for when the ice cream is done. You will also need a baking sheet, oil, and a deep sauce pan.

• DIY Fried Ice Cream Balls
  • Above I have scooped onto my cookie sheet 5 scoops of the ice cream. I only did five which was one for each of us. This is pretty unhealthy so the key for stuff like this is moderation.

Once the ice cream is scooped it goes back into the freezer for about an hour to become rock hard. It needs to be frozen solid for the ice cream to hold together during frying. I learned this was one of my biggest problems I was not putting it back into the fridge nearly long enough.

• DIY Fried Ice Cream Balls
  • While the ice cream is freezing, take the time to crush your corn flakes. I did mine in a food processor along with my cinnamon so that they are evenly crushed and blended. Then once the ice cream is frozen, just roll it around in the corn flakes until it is coated. After the ice cream is coated in the corn flakes, put it back into the freezer.

• DIY Fried Ice Cream Balls
  • Once the ice cream is well frozen, take a couple of eggs and wisk them together to make an egg wash. I added a little extra cinnamon and sweetened cocoa to my egg mixture which gives it the darker color that you see. When the ice cream is frozen again, take them out dip them in the cornflakes, the egg mixture, and repeat until they are well coated. Once coated, I put the ice cream back into the freezer while I pre heated the oil in a deep sauce pan. Below is what the ice cream looked like after I rolled them really well in the corn flakes.

• DIY Fried Ice Cream Balls
  • Once the ice cream is back in the freezer, heat the oil to 350 degrees. I used a candy thermometer to ensure that the temperature was right. Next put the ice cream balls in and move them around for about 15 to 20 seconds. They cannot be left in any longer than that because they will melt.

• DIY Fried Ice Cream Balls
  • Here is a picture of my last two frying. They should be eaten immediately after they are done because they will melt very quickly. I learned here that part of my problem I had before was that I was letting them rest in one position for too long and they were just leaking everywhere.

• DIY Fried Ice Cream Balls
  • Above, is what they look like after I took them out, placed them on a paper towel and then opened one up. The inside is exactly as it should be; slightly soft but still solid and cool on the inside.

My family just ate them as is, but you can add toppings as you want. Overall, this is a great recipe and one that I would suggest using as a fun treat. However, this is not a recipe that I would suggest letting kids so by themselves because it requires focus and is dangerous if your not paying attention. However, it would be fun for the kids to add their toppings as they come out of the fryer.

I also learned a lot about what I was doing wrong the last several times that I tried to make these. I loved this recipe and I will definitely do it again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4928051645190631/k2311a0528/5.28.15