DIY Homemade Onion Rings  » Recipes  »
  • One of my family’s favorite treats is fried Vidalia onion rings
  • I saw this recipe online and I decided to try it to see how it worked
  • This is one lesson that I learned from the recipe, these small rings don’t hold batter well and so they aren’t worth trying to fry
  • I definitely recommend using this recipe and using panko bread crumbs

by Jennifer Davis

One of my family’s favorite treats is fried Vidalia onion rings. However, I have always had trouble getting the batter and the frying down pat so my onion rings are usually always mushy. I saw this recipe online and I decided to try it to see how it worked. Actually, I was quite pleased with the results.

The recipe was pretty easy to follow and the ingredients required are: A single large Vidalia onion (or whatever onion you like) cut into ¼ -inch slices, one cup of all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 egg, 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs (I used panko bread crumbs), and oil for frying.

• DIY Homemade Onion Rings
  • I had one large Vidalia onion that I sliced up as you can see above, and it gave me about 20 slices not including the smaller rings from the center of the onion. This is one lesson that I learned from the recipe, these small rings don’t hold batter well and so they aren’t worth trying to fry. In the end, I froze them to use in pasta sauce. Once the onion is sliced then peel away the outside skin and throw it away.

• DIY Homemade Onion Rings
  • After I had them sliced, I then started on the batter. Above you can see everything in the batter. This includes, the egg, milk, salt, baking powder (you can also use a teaspoon of all purpose flour in place of the baking powder), I also added fresh cracked pepper. This what the batter looked like before I mixed it, after mixing it took on a tan milky color.

• DIY Homemade Onion Rings
  • Once the batter was ready, I then took the onion rings and dipped them into the liquid and the flour twice to form a double batter. Once that was done I took a cup of panko bread crumbs and spread them out in a pie plate. Then I took the onion rings dipped them in the liquid batter and coated them in the bread crumbs. Just a tip here, I ran my bread crumbs through my food processor first to make the crumbs smaller, this wasn’t required, but I don’t like huge chunks of bread crumbs.

• DIY Homemade Onion Rings
  • I also double coated my onion rings in the bread crumbs because I like them extra crispy. I then put them on a wire rack so the excess egg mixture could drip off while the grease was heating in the fryer. Below is the picture of what they looked like after I set them on the wire rack. It was during this step that I learned the secret to why my onion rings were coming out mushy: I didn’t let them sit on the wire rack long enough. They need to sit for 20 to 30 minutes so that the batter binds itself to the onions. This helps the batter stick together during the frying process. The best time to accomplish this is to let them sit while the oil is heating in fryer (or pan)

• DIY Homemade Onion Rings
  • Once the fryer was ready I drop the onion rings in a few at a time with a pair of silicone coated tongs. You can use your fingers, but I don’t suggest it.

• DIY Homemade Onion Rings
  • Above is what the first batch looked like after I pulled them out of the fryer. I left them in the fryer for about four minutes. During the frying I learned another issue that I was doing wrong before, I was over loading my fryer with too many onion rings so it was releasing too much water into the oil and steaming the rings rather than frying them which leaves them really sloppy.

Once the rings are done frying put them on a plate covered with paper towels and let them sit for several minutes to cool and let the excess oil drain away.

Overall, I think this was a great recipe. I learned a lot about what I was doing wrong before so I was definitely pleased with the outcome. I definitely recommend using this recipe and using panko bread crumbs.

Maria Basto says :

re : One of my family’s favorite treats is fried Vidalia onion rings
I love onion rings but I am everything less than a good cook and I don’t have much time to cook either so, I stick with quick recipes… How much time it takes to prepare this onion rings?

Jennifer Davis replies :

Hi Maria, all together it takes about an hour from start to finish including clean up. That said you can cut out part of that if you cut the onions the day before and heat the oil while the onion rings sit. It’s worth it though.

Maria Basto says :

Thanks. And it is possible to use sliced frozen onions? From time to time I buy this because is faster and simpler to cook and I have some in my freezer…

Jennifer Davis replies :

Hi, yes you can use frozen onions, but they will need to be thawed out a dried well with paper towels or a dish cloth (the dish cloth works better). Any excess water will cause the batter to slide off and they will be a soggy mess. Otherwise using frozen onions would be just fine. Thanks for reading :)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4928051645180631/k2311a0528/5.28.15