Fried Pickles recipe  » Recipes  »
  • I like to add about a teaspoon of paprika and a 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin to enhance the flavor of the salt and pepper
  • This can be done in either a pan (I prefer cast iron) or a home deep fryer which I have above
  • I learned that letting these pickles sit is really important because if you don't then they will be really greasy and nasty
  • However, I think that you could use any kind of sauce that you like
  • Definitely want to make these when you have the time to devote to it because the grease does tend to pop and it could create a fire hazard if its not watched

by Jennifer Davis

My husband absolutely loves fried pickles and I often make them as a Saturday afternoon treat to go with a movie. I got the recipe online and it is really simple to follow.

The recipe calls for: 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, 3 cups thin dill pickle slices, drained, and oil for deep-fat frying

• DIY Fried Pickles
  • Above is my flour mixture. I like to add about a teaspoon of paprika and a 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin to enhance the flavor of the salt and pepper. I just add all my dry ingredients into a pyrex cup because it makes less of a mess.

• DIY Fried Pickles
  • Another part of the recipe that I don’t follow is the part about using eggs. My husband doesn’t like the texture of the coating when I use eggs so I just use about a cup and a half of milk. I then dunked the pickles in the milk and rolled them in the flower mixture. I repeated this step twice to make sure that they were evenly coated.

• DIY Fried Pickles
  • the most important part of this recipe is making sure you have clean well heated oil. This can be done in either a pan (I prefer cast iron) or a home deep fryer which I have above. Its jut a single basket so it doesn’t make too big a mess and doesn’t require a lot oil. Here I have heated the oil to 350 degrees. I use vegetable oil, but peanut oil can be used as well.

• DIY Fried Pickles
  • Once my oil is heated I then put my breaded pickles in a few at a time. Above is how they look after about two minutes. They only need to fry for two to three minutes depending on how dark you like them. I take mine out after about two minutes when they turn a golden brown color and float to the top of the oil.

When you put the pickles in at first they will sink down I the oil. This is exactly what should happen so don’t worry about it.

• DIY Fried Pickles
  • If you are using a basket, then just lift the basket out of the oil and let them sit for a few minutes for the excess oil to drain out. Above is what the pickles will look like after the oil has drained off of them. If you are using a regular pot then use either a wire rack or a plate with a paper towel on it. I learned that letting these pickles sit is really important because if you don’t then they will be really greasy and nasty.

Also, just like other fried foods, these pickles are super hot. I have burned myself terribly bad on them before so please wait and let the excess oil drain and the pickles cool.

• DIY Fried Pickles
  • Above is what my pickles looked like after they were all cooked and cooled. The bowl in the middle has Kraft buttermilk ranch in it because that’s what my family likes. However, I think that you could use any kind of sauce that you like. Sometimes, my husband even goes for thousand island.

Overall, it was a really fun recipe and a great way to make some snacks for a Saturday or a game day. Definitely want to make these when you have the time to devote to it because the grease does tend to pop and it could create a fire hazard if its not watched.

Overall, I love the taste of the pickles. Especially with the paprika. I definitely recommend this recipe.

Maria Basto says :

re : I like to add about a teaspoon of paprika and a 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin to enhance the flavor of the salt and pepper
Is it possible to use a little more paprika maintaining the other ingredients and quantities? I am not quite sure if the quantity you use is strong enough for my taste or not cause I love paprika flavour.

Jennifer Davis replies :

Hi I only use about a teaspoon so its a very light paprika flavor. However, you can add as much or as little as you’d like. Keep in mind though, that the more paprika the more red the batter will be. However, the recipe is completely changeable to fit your tastes. Thanks for reading

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4928051645160631/k2311a0528/5.28.15