Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff E-book Edition  » Books  »
  • I absolutely love to read, and there are few things I like reading more than biography or memoir (except romances and mysteries)
  • As a member of the kindle unlimited club, I am constantly receiving new update on books that I might find interesting
  • At first, I was skeptical about purchasing this e-book, but after I read several reviews and saw that it was on sale for $7.99 I decided to get it
  • I was impressed that Stacy Schiff redefined Cleopatra based on historical fact and didn’t let her description of being Cleopatra get colored by modern movie depictions and romance novels
  • This was a wonderful biography and one that I will definitely read again

• by Jennifer Davis

I absolutely love to read, and there are few things I like reading more than biography or memoir (except romances and mysteries). As a member of the kindle unlimited club, I am constantly receiving new update on books that I might find interesting. One of those books was a memoir /biography of Egypt’s most notorious queen: Cleopatra. It was called Cleopatra: A Life. Written by Stacy Schiff, this biography was meant to separate fact from fiction and shed new light on Queen Cleopatra as a women and a ruler instead of a seductress bent on

seducing men. At first, I was skeptical about purchasing this e-book, but after I read several reviews and saw that it was on sale for $7.99 I decided to get it.

I have to say I couldn’t put this book down, it brought to life Cleopatra in a way that I had never experienced before. In most of the other books that I have read Queen Cleopatra is always described as a seductress and as manipulative. However, in her book, Stacy Schiff, was able to rediscover Cleopatra not as a seductress, but rather a smart and imaginative ruler that ushered in a new era and did her best to balance love, ruling a kingdom, and being a young woman all at the same time.

I was impressed that Stacy Schiff redefined Cleopatra based on historical fact and didn’t let her description of being Cleopatra get colored by modern movie depictions and romance novels. In her biography, Ms. Schiff did a wonderful job of showing me how misunderstood Queen Cleopatra was as a ruler.

Another thing I really liked was that Ms. Schiff didn’t just that the background fade into the ...

• Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff E-book Edition
      story but rather took the time to bring to life what ancient Egypt would have been like at the time of Cleopatra’s rule.

To me, this added a wonderful texture to the book that help me to understand Cleopatra better and to understand the world that she was living in. This was not only very interesting in itself, but helped me to relate to Queen Cleopatra and see how these forces shaped her into being the notorious Queen that she was. Honestly, reading this book, gave a much deeper understanding of the circumstances surrounding Cleopatra’s

life and rule and helped me to develop a respect for her as a person.

I definitely recommend this book to women who love to read about Queen Cleopatra. I found and learn new things about ancient Egypt at the time and about Cleopatra as a person and as a ruler that I don’t think I would’ve learned anywhere else. Ms. Schiff, brought to life for me a Cleopatra I did not know existed and made her a much more rounded person that I had previously thought. This was a wonderful biography and one that I will definitely read again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1727051645140331/k2311a0527/5.27.15