The Last Call ( The Bill Travis Mysteries Book 1) by George Wier E-book Edition  » Books  »
  • I love to read and so my kindle gets a lot of use
  • Mysteries are one of my favorite types of books and I had heard good things about this e-book
  • That said, the second half of the book picked up nicely and though the ending left something to be desired (which is partly to be expected because it is a series) I did find that the second half, particularly when the plot turned revolve more around the missing persons case, was very gripping and I found it hard to put down
  • After reading all 236 pages of this book (at least the e-book edition) I recommend it, but only to those who aren’t looking for a fast paced mystery novel

• by Jennifer Davis

I love to read and so my kindle gets a lot of use. Mysteries are one of my favorite types of books and I had heard good things about this e-book. I saw it online and decided to order it since most of what I heard and read were really positive reviews. It is regularly about $16.99 for the paperback version and $.99 for the digital version, but I got it for free.

Written by author George Wier, “The Last Call” centers around the character of investment counselor Bill Travis, a man who is about to turn 40 and bored with his life. He is convinced that nothing good will ever happen to him and that he will never get any excitement out of

his life because his best years are far behind him and he spent them taking the safe road. However, all this changes for Bill when one Monday he meets a beautiful blond and slightly manipulative client named Julie Simmons who is running from a criminal in the liquor and race horse business after she cheated him and took him for over 2 million dollars and then lost it.

Wanting some excitement in his life, Bill begins to try to help Julie and in the end is sucked into her world and is forced to join her in running from the criminals, evading the local Texans and trying to recover the money. As they run their way across North Texas, they fall into a missing person’s case that is more than a half century old.

Overall, as it started it had the makings for a really good book. I loved that it involved a case from the 1920 era and thought it was going to be a really fun mystery.

I have to say that I started out excited about this book, but soon after I started I began having problems. Firstly, was that thought the beginning was alright and was moving along at an okay pace, about the third chapter things really slowed down and the plot was just crawling along. It took forever, Bill Travis ad Julie Simmons to start their plot together and even longer for the book to really start moving towards something other than the chase.

Also,

• The Last Call ( The Bill Travis Mysteries Book 1) by George Wier E-book Edition
      I don’t know about the paperback version, but the e-book version has a lot of grammar problems and even words that are just plain missing. I can’t really complain too much because I got the book for free, but I feel like that if a book is going to be written, whether it’s a paper back or online, it should be proofread. The fact it wasn’t made me question why I was reading it to begin with.

persons case, was very gripping and I found it hard to put down. I will mostly likely read the next one and am looking forward to seeing how things turn out for Bill Travis.

Overall, I think it’s a good book. There are problems like the super slow beginning and the poor editing, but it was free and the second half of the book sort of made up for the slow and somewhat confusing beginning. After reading all 236 pages of this book (at least the e-book edition) I recommend it, but only to those who aren’t looking for a fast paced mystery novel. If you have the patience to devote time to it this novel it is worth it, but the first half will be hard to get through.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1727051645130331/k2311a0527/5.27.15