DIY Fall Toilet Bombs  » Housewares  »
0.0
  • I thought it was really cool, and I thought it might be fun project for my kids to do
  • Essential Oils- I like tea tree for its antiseptic properties as well as lemon, sweet orange, and lavender
  • They are supposed to packed hard so after every bit that I put in I patted it down with the back of small spatula, but I think that I spoon probably would have worked better because of the rounded shape
  • They smelled absolutely amazing and each bomb left a lasting fresh smell for two days
  • I will definitely do it again and I recommend it as a fun project for others

by Jennifer Davis

• I was at a friend’s house a few weeks ago and she was making homemade toilet bombs from a recipe that she saw online. I thought it was really cool, and I thought it might be fun project for my kids to do. I hoped it would be a cool way of keeping my toilets fresh without the need for expensive and potentially toxic cleaners.

For the recipe you will need the following:

1-1/3 cup of baking soda

1/2 cup of citric acid. This is available in the canning aisle of most grocery stores. I usually have some around because I can, but if not its only a couple dollars.

Essential Oils- I like tea tree for its antiseptic properties as well as lemon, sweet orange, and lavender. You will need 10 to 15 drops of each. Personally, I used only 10 drops because I was using multiple kinds of oil.

Also, food coloring can make it more fun. However, I was out of food coloring so mine are white.

Finally, a silicone fall mold. If you don’t have a silicone mold then I would just use cookie cutters. The silicone just makes it much easier to pop out the molds once they have set.

• DIY Fall Toilet Bombs
  • Once you have all the ingredients the recipie says to mix them together starting with the baking soda and citric acid. I ended up putting in the essential oils last, but also added about a 1/4 teaspoon of water because the mixture was too dry. It is supposed to be the consistency of damp sugar or a crumbly paste.

Once I got the consistency I packed mine down into the tray. They are supposed to packed hard so after every bit that I put in I patted it down with the back of small spatula, but I think that I spoon probably would have worked better because of the rounded shape.

These should sit for 4 to six hours in a cool dry place to allow them to set.

Below you can see mine are a bit puffy. I didn’t know why at first, but after reading the experiences of others, I realized that it was because I didn’t pat the mixture down periodically during the setting process.

Also you will notice that I left one of the molds empty. This was to make manipulating the tray easier while I was trying to remove the toilet cleaner bombs.

• DIY Fall Toilet Bombs
  • Below is the finished product. It did start to crumble when I took it out and I think that is because I didn’t pack it down hard enough while it was setting. The next time that I make them, I will have to be better about making sure that they are packed down hard enough.
  • DIY Fall Toilet Bombs
  • the next test after I made them was to drop one into the toilet to see if it would fizz. My toilets were already cleaned a day or two before so they weren’t really dirty, but they did have that bathroom smell that signals its getting close to time to clean them again.

Once I dropped my DIY toilet bomb into the toilet it began to clean almost immediately. Within just a few seconds I could smell the tea tree oil and then the lemon oil begin to fill the bathroom. They smelled absolutely amazing and each bomb left a lasting fresh smell for two days!

• DIY Fall Toilet Bombs
  • Overall, I felt like this was a really fun project. However, the next time I do them there are a few things that I will do differently.

First, I will use the back of a spoon instead of a spatula to try and pack these into the mold,

Also, I think that instead of combining all the essential oils into one big bowl of mix. I will make the mix and add 30 drops of the tea tree oil since its there to kill germs. Then, I will separate out the mix into 1/4 cup bowls then add the food coloring as essential oils to separate ones. For instance, a yellow leaf for a lemon toilet bomb or a orange pumpkin for a sweet orange bomb.

I feel like that would make it more interesting and be better use of the ingredients.

I will definitely do it again and I recommend it as a fun project for others.

AJITKUMAR BALAKRISHNA SUTAR says :

re : I will definitely do it again and I recommend it as a fun project for others
Hello sir,
i have used this product for my house. so iam saying that this is the very good product for a family. you must use it for cleaness.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5318051644880631/k2311a0518/5.18.15