DIY Food Processor Butter Recipe  » Recipes  »
  • Heavy whipping cream- unless you can get your hands on fresh cream, but I think that the cream bought from the store is probably better since it is pasteurized
  • It looks like whipped cream, but it is definitely butter
  • It was salted just lightly so it wasn't overly salty, I would recommend tasting at this point to ensure that it is salty enough for you
  • Overall I thought it was a pretty easy recipe
  • I don't really consider this a replacement for store bought butter, particularly margarine because the heavy whipping cream is expensive and you still don't get as much as comes in the store bought container

by Jennifer Davis

I use butter all the time, but I wanted to try to but down on the time it takes by using a recipe I read about using a food processor.

The ingredients are really simple.

Heavy whipping cream- unless you can get your hands on fresh cream, but I think that the cream bought from the store is probably better since it is pasteurized. I used one half of a large quart of heavy whipping cream since I was making a large amount, but you can use as much as you need too.

A large food processor with slotted paddles- I already have one of these, but if you don’t then you can buy one or just use a jar with a lid and shake the jar. However, just keep in mind that the texture of the butter will be slightly different.

Salt to taste.

• DIY Food Processor Butter Recipe
  • Here you can see that I poured about half the whipping cream into my food processor(thank you honey for taking this picture). After that I added a couple pinches of regular table salt. Once I had all my ingredients into the mixer, I set it on medium speed for three minutes as directed in the recipe

• DIY Food Processor Butter Recipe
  • Here is what the butter looks like after about two minutes in the mixer. It looks like whipped cream, but it is definitely butter. I actually took some of the butter out at this point because my husband loves whipped butter on toast and to cook with. It was salted just lightly so it wasn’t overly salty, I would recommend tasting at this point to ensure that it is salty enough for you. If you wait until the end of the mix then it will be too hard to salt.

Once I took out what I wanted of the salted butter, I reset the food processor for another minute and a half at medium-high speed and let it go. Below is what the butter looked like. As you can tell it hardened up substantially in the last minute and a half.

• DIY Food Processor Butter Recipe
  • Don’t worry about the liquid at the bottom that is the milk whey that has separated off. This is exactly what should happen. I used a spatula to scrap the sides of the bowl down to ensure that I didn’t waste much.

Below you can see that I removed my paddles and cleaned them with a spoon. The paddles will have a lot of butter on them so if you don’t clean them you will be wasting a good portion of your butter.

• DIY Food Processor Butter Recipe
  • Once I got all the butter cleaned, I put in a strainer to drain off any excess whey before I put the butter in an air tight storage container in the fridge.

• DIY Food Processor Butter Recipe
  • Above is a small scoop of the butter on one of my cobalt blue butter saucers. It firmed up substantially in the refrigerator.

Overall I thought it was a pretty easy recipe. The butter goes very quickly around my house particularly when paired with fresh bread. I don’t really consider this a replacement for store bought butter, particularly margarine because the heavy whipping cream is expensive and you still don’t get as much as comes in the store bought container. The half quart of whipping cream made about a 1-1/2 cups of solid butter maybe slightly more.

Also, the next time, I think that I will add just a tad of brown or yellow food coloring to give the butter the yellow color that my kids are used too. They refused to try it at first.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4918051644870631/k2311a0518/5.18.15