The 1975, debut album
  • In a musical world crowded by popular acts and mainstream rock bands (such as One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer), it's hard to notice small bands that are definitely worthy of the spotlight
  • The problem with their songs though is that they have a very poor enunciation
  • One time I thought he's saying, I know that he wants me, I know that he wants
  • I know they're so far from each other, but that's what I heard
  • That's quite a good reason to become a fan-favorite

• by Laudemhir Jan Parel

Flavored synth pops and 80’s inspired rock beats coated the self-titled debut album of The 1975, an indie-rock band formed in England.

Quite an underrated band, I dare say. In a musical world crowded by popular acts and mainstream rock bands (such as One Direction and 5 Seconds of Summer), it’s hard to notice small bands that are definitely worthy of the spotlight. The 1975 is one of those small bands, although their sound is quite BIG enough.

Songs like “M.O.N.E.Y.” and “The City” are so catchy it wouldn’t have been out of place in Pop Radio. The problem with their songs though is that they have a very poor enunciation. I can hardly understand what the lead is trying to say so I had to google the lyrics. One time I thought he’s saying, “I know that he wants me, I

know that he wants!” when in actuality it’s “M O N E Y’s me, M O N E Y!” I know they’re so far from each other, but that’s what I heard. Other than that, these two songs are great openers for a good album.

The album goes to an incredible high with the joyride-worthy tracks, “Chocolate” and “Sex”. The reason why I said “joyride-worthy” is that I’ve tried my windows down while enjoying the sun and man, it’s a magnificent experience! You should probably try it some time.

I forgot to mention, this album is packed with emotion. There is something with the lead’s voice that becomes somber at times then goes to being energetic without trouble. You’ll eventually notice it once and for all.

Even at the album’s weakest point, the undeniably bland and uninspired “Talk!” you can still hear the

anger in the lead’s voice. The problem with this song is that it is sandwiched by two standout tracks, which makes it hard for this song to shine. So in other words, “Talk!” is a filler.

The best songs in the album follow in an incredibly strong manner. “Heart Out” is one of those songs that has a One Direction vibes to it, the catchiness, the enjoyable beats and the progressive melody that is so easy to access.

Fan-favorite “Settle Down” follows that path yet again, but now with more subtlety and careful refinements than the previous track. The instrumental is really 80’s inspired here. That’s quite a good reason to become a fan-favorite!

Then on the emotional highlight of the track comes, the climatic “Robbers”. Except for the closing track, this one is the most that sounds somber and heartfelt. Even ...

• The 1975, debut album
      the beats go with the flow and vibes of the song. It tells the story of two lovers left broken, robbing the other from the happiness they ought to have.

“Girls” is the album’s poppiest and most radio-friendly song. The moment the verses started I got chills, the lead’s got this beautifully toned head-voice. Included in this song is my favorite line from them, “I know you’re looking for salvation in this secular age, but girl I’m not your savior.” Which sums up to the fact that they’re indeed quite good lyricists.

The next three songs, however, failed to sustain the momentum of the 4 previous tracks. But perhaps it is just a different direction aimed to a different audience. For me, it does no good. I was inclined to their 80’s esthetic that “She Way Out” becomes suddenly out of

place. “Menswear” is undeniably Bastille-inspired track with the way the vocals are being layered.

As soon as “Pressure” started, I thought it’s going to bring back the heat, but alas, it turned out to be another filler.

The album ends with a HUGE punch though. The quite vulnerable piano-driven “Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You” becomes sad as sad can go. It’s the only song in the album that is not flavored by any electronic instrument, and for that it makes it very raw and honest.

Overall, the album is very different in sound than most of the stuff that artists put out today. But it is not extraordinary or groundbreaking in that matter, although it COULD have if it’s not for the fillers that are just so out of place in the record. For 16 tracks though (counting 3 interludes), it’s a solid record.

Andrew Leaither says :

I have not heard of this album or title but “The 1975″ debut sounds interesting and if I can’t get my hands on this, I am going to be disappointed but I guess my second best place to watch these people in action their uploaded You-tube videos and on reading this review it really sounds interesting, lyrical and exciting and fun.

Laudemhir Jan Parel replies :

I truly suggest you listen to this band, their nostalgic music really brings back the past alive.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1411051644620431/k2311a0511/5.11.15