LUSH Mint Julips Lip Scrub  » Cosmetics  »
  • After stopping by LUSH Cosmetics on a whim one afternoon, I decided to purchase the Mint Julips Lip Scrub
  • A 25g pot of Mint Julips Lip Scrub cost me approximately $10 CDN
  • For this reason, I have repurchased this product twice, not for myself, but as gifts and I highly recommend it as a Christmas 'stocking stuffer'
  • One of the most common complaints I have heard about the Mint Julips Lip Scrub is I didn't like the taste , immediately followed by But I don't normally like chocolate-mint or I don't like mint
  • Because I enjoy making my own lip scrubs, this is not a product I would repurchase frequently, but I do not discourage anyone from trying it

• by Marley Justine

After stopping by LUSH Cosmetics on a whim one afternoon, I decided to purchase the Mint Julips Lip Scrub. I had been using homemade lip scrubs for years and I wanted to compare this store-bought, yet natural product to what I had been making myself.

Immediately, I noticed the price. A 25g pot of Mint Julips Lip Scrub cost me approximately $10 CDN. Although a little product goes a long way and the pot will last longer than you’d expect when you look at it, there was a voice in my head screaming ‘I can make a year’s worth of lip scrub for $10!’

While it may be more expensive than making your own lip scrub, $10

CDN for a beauty product, especially a natural beauty product, is very reasonable. For this reason, I have repurchased this product twice, not for myself, but as gifts and I highly recommend it as a Christmas ’stocking stuffer’.

The Mint Julips Lip Scrub was described to me by the sales associate as combination of peppermint and chocolate. While the chocolate is much more subtle than I would have hoped. After trying the product, I discovered cocoa is not one of the ingredients. No wonder it doesn’t taste like chocolate. Looking at the LUSH Cosmetics website, the product is more accurately described as “a minty sugar scrub.” I was quite pleased with the smell of this product and even the taste. The sales associate also mentioned that this product is technically edible, however, I have never actually licked it off of my lips.

One of the most common complaints I have heard about the Mint Julips Lip Scrub is “I didn’t like the taste”, immediately followed by “But I don’t normally like chocolate-mint” or “I don’t like mint.” If you don’t like the combination of chocolate and peppermint, or more importantly, if you don’t like mint flavored products, this is not for you.

Personally, my only complaint is that I found this lip scrub to be a little on the messy side. Normally when I make my own lip scrub I like to add ...

• LUSH Mint Julips Lip Scrub
      a little extra oil so that it sticks to my lips whereas this lip scrub is drier than I am use to and would fall off of my lips. My first reaction was to tilt my head back, but that quickly became uncomfortable. In the end, I just soaked my lips with water before using, and that seemed to help.

If you’ve never used a product with peppermint oil in it, be prepared for a slight tingling sensation. I have heard some people complain that peppermint oil irritates their skin, but I personally have not experienced this. The only irritation I had from this product was completely my fault - one night, I was extremely tired and

eager to get to bed and I did not wipe the scrub off thoroughly. The next morning I had some redness around my mouth, fortunately it cleared up within a day. In addition to making sure you wipe off all of the product after using, I recommend following with a liberal application of your favorite moisturizing lip balm after using. For me, a lip scrub followed by a moisturizer is the key to smooth and soft lips.

Overall, I am quite happy with the Mint Julips Lip Scrub by LUSH Cosmetics. Because I enjoy making my own lip scrubs, this is not a product I would repurchase frequently, but I do not discourage anyone from trying it.

Jennifer Davis says :

Does this work to help plump lips? I have heard that it does, is it true?

Marley Justine replies :

Not in my experience.

Shagun says :

Scrubbing your lips removes dry cells and healthy cells always look plump especially if you have applied an attractive color. Therefore people say that these scrubs make your lips plumper.

In effect, they just do what any scrub would do but they are definitely a great choice.

Julie says :

This lip scrub has peppermint oil in it but not enough to noticeably plump the lips, at least in my case. :]

Shaquinna White says :

re : For this reason, I have repurchased this product twice, not for myself, but as gifts and I highly recommend it as a Christmas ’stocking stuffer’
This product is amazing. Great product for a great price

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 311051644200631/k2311a051/5.1.15