“Love Is In The Mix” cookbook by Kate Gosselin  » Books  »
2.0
  • I think it was because I knew the book, like Kate herself, would be very polarizing
  • Another problem I had with the pictures in this book was that they are misleading
  • I found her recipe for 'Sloppy Joel's' (Sloppy Joe's) to be inedible
  • Unfortunately, 'Love Is In The Mix' seems to have had very little editing and there are a number of grammatical errors throughout the text
  • If you are not a fan of Kate Gosselin, I don't recommend you buy the book

• by Marley Justine

When I heard that Kate Gosselin was publishing a cookbook, I immediately decided that I wanted to purchase a copy. To this day, I’m not entirely sure why. I think it was because I knew the book, like Kate herself, would be very polarizing. I knew there would be strong opinions on either end of the spectrum and I wanted to form my own.

Normally, the first thing I do when I buy a new cookbook is flip through and flag any ‘must try’ recipes. With “Love Is In The Mix”, I instead found myself flipping through the book looking at the pictures of the Gosselin children. While some candid pictures give it a personalized, family photo album effect, there are many pictures that are clearly staged

and it didn’t take long before I felt like I was flipping through promotional material for ‘Kate Plus 8′.

Another problem I had with the pictures in this book was that they are misleading. There are many cases where the pictures included with a recipe don’t actually match that recipe.

In addition to pictures, Kate also uses personal stories in her recipe introductions. This is something I always appreciate in a cookbook. And again, something I think fans of Kate Gosselin, her children and their television show(s) will appreciate.

Remember, Kate Gosselin is not a professional chef. She is a nurse turned mother of eight/reality television star. The recipes included in ‘Love Is In The Mix’ are extremely basic and can be made by anyone. With a few exceptions, such as the ‘Macaroni & Cheese with Tuna and Peas’, which I was tempted to rip out of the cookbook because I can guarantee, I’ll never use it for anything, the recipes resemble those you would find on the back of a can.

I kept an open mind as I tried a couple of recipes from ‘Love Is In The Mix’. Unfortunately, they were forgettable at best. I found her recipe for ‘Sloppy Joel’s’ (Sloppy Joe’s) to be inedible. Like Kate, I’m not a professional chef, but I think the problem is that the recipes aren’t balanced.

‘Love Is In The Mix’ is a cookbook that I have opted to keep, but I use it only as a source of inspiration.

Prior to reading ‘Love Is ...

In The Mix’, I expected an emphasis on healthy and organic cooking. While this is touched on, it is not nearly to the extent I was prepared for. Many of Kate’s recipes are extremely high in sodium. Even her dog treats are high in sodium.

In addition to recipes, ‘Love Is In The Mix’ also includes ‘family traditions’. These are sweet enough but honestly, you can find the same inspiration for free on Pinterest.

Unfortunately, ‘Love Is In The Mix’ seems to have had very little editing and there are a number of grammatical errors throughout the text.

When it comes to the physical book itself, I have one complaint - it does not stay open. As nice as it looks on a shelf, it would have been better

to use spiral binding. I found myself copying the recipes down by hand for quick reference while cooking.

Kate Gosselin’s ‘Love Is In The Mix’ is definitely most suited for fans of Kate Gosselin. I think fans have purchased and will continue to purchase this for the pictures and to support Kate. If you are not a fan of Kate Gosselin, I don’t recommend you buy the book. The recipes are underwhelming and I have heard many complaints about how fake people find her. Before purchasing ‘Love Is In The Mix’, ask yourself why you are looking to buy it and keep in mind that the types of recipes it includes are available online for free.

What were your thoughts on Kate Gosselin’s ‘Love Is In The Mix’?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171051644190631/k2311a051/5.1.15