“The Real Girl’s Kitchen” (cookbook) by Haylie Duff  » Books  »
  • While I had never been a 'Haylie Duff Superfan', I decided to purchase her cookbook based almost entirely on the title
  • One problem I have always had with cookbooks is that they can be intimidating, referencing techniques and ingredients I have never even heard of which made the title of this book stand out
  • Unfortunately, rather than being overwhelmed by intimidating recipes, I found myself underwhelmed by the recipes in 'The Real Girl's Kitchen' cookbook
  • Ordinarily, I love Pillsbury crescent rolls, but in a cookbook, I would much rather see a recipe for homemade crescent rolls
  • Like I said, despite my thoughts on the recipes, I still use my copy of the book frequently for inspiration, I enjoy reading it and it is visually appealing

• by Marley Justine

The last time I had seen or heard of Haylie Duff prior to purchasing her cookbook, ‘The Real Girl’s Kitchen’, she was acting in ‘7th Heaven’. The book came as a complete surprise to me. I had not seen any promotional material for it, and I had no knowledge of her cooking show ‘Real Girl’s Kitchen’ or that the actress and singer had become a food blogger. While I had never been a ‘Haylie Duff Superfan’, I decided to purchase her cookbook based almost entirely on the title. One problem I have always had with cookbooks is that they can be intimidating, referencing techniques and ingredients I have never even

heard of which made the title of this book stand out. I was hopeful that this book would be exactly what the title suggested - a cookbook for ‘real’ girls.

Unfortunately, rather than being overwhelmed by intimidating recipes, I found myself underwhelmed by the recipes in ‘The Real Girl’s Kitchen’ cookbook. For example, one of the recipes calls for ‘crescent rolls’. Ordinarily, I love Pillsbury crescent rolls, but in a cookbook, I would much rather see a recipe for homemade crescent rolls. My fiancee and I were especially disappointed with the chicken wing recipe - we followed the recipe and ended up with barely cooked wings, after fully-cooking the wings, we found they were quite bland.

No longer following the exact recipes in this cookbook, I do find that it is great for inspiration. Fortunately, there are many days where that is all I am looking for. If you have already purchased a copy of this cookbook and you’ve lost interest in following the recipes, I strongly encourage you to try using it just for inspiration. I have yet to be disappointed in the meals inspired by Haylie’s recipes.

As someone with a cheese allergy, I quickly noticed that many of the recipes in ‘The Real Girl’s Kitchen’ cookbook contain cheese (or other dairy products). While this has not stopped me from ...

using the book for inspiration, it is something to think of if you have a cheese or dairy allergy. If you’re not interested in playing around with recipes, this may not be the book for you.

Recipes aside, the layout of ‘The Real Girl’s Kitchen’ cookbook is gorgeous and well organized. This book is full of high-quality, beautiful pictures and personal stories, and I love the use of both. In fact, Haylie Duff’s use of personal stories to introduce her recipes had me reading this cookbook like it was a novel. Overall, the book is visually appealing, inside and out. Even if I am not using it for recipes on a

daily basis, I keep it on display in my kitchen.

Just because I was disappointed by the recipes in ‘The Real Girl’s Kitchen’ doesn’t mean you will be too. I do not want to discourage anyone from purchasing this cookbook, which is available for purchase online and in most major bookstores. Like I said, despite my thoughts on the recipes, I still use my copy of the book frequently for inspiration, I enjoy reading it and it is visually appealing. For those of you who are looking to re-create these recipes, I will admit, they are extremely easy to follow.

What are your thoughts on Haylie Duff’s ‘The Real Girl’s Kitchen’?

SURUT says :

This book is very useful for us. Specially who are the new married person or like to cock food for their family.So i can say that it is a great book.

Jennifer Davis says :

How much was this cookbook?

Marley Justine replies :

I think I paid about $ 16 CDN, but I’m sure it is available on Amazon for less.

7hereviewer gmail.com says :

re : One problem I have always had with cookbooks is that they can be intimidating, referencing techniques and ingredients I have never even heard of which made the title of this book stand out
I totally agree with you. I really hate it when cook books list ingredients I have never even heard of. Ok, when those are spices then I don’t mind if I don’t have one or two but sometimes recipes sound so complicated that lose interests, despite the fact that I really like to cook and try out new stuff.

7hereviewer gmail.com says :

I do the same with the spices, if I do not have all of them I just do not put them but sometimes that can change the taste of the dish. I realised that thyme can really change the dish, and it really does wonders.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171051644150631/k2311a051/5.1.15