Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition for Dogs
2.5
  • At some point I was advised to change the food for a while in order to avoid a decrease in her weight (she already was skinny)
  • In his opinion Pedigree was not a very good food (he does not recommend it) but since the eating problem of my dog was persisted he told me to still try
  • Well, in the beginning I noticed Yupi (my dog's name) was eating a little better and started to wonder what would be the appealing ingredients for her by comparison with the other food
  • After that I tooke her to the vet and turns out the problem was she had a gum infection
  • In my opinion, as owner I have to be careful with that because food is very important for our best buddy health and I really want him to have a long and happy life so

• by Maria Basto

I have a medium size female dog (it is a boxer) who was very sick a few months ago so you can imagine that since then I am always alert to her health. The vet indicated me Royal Canin food at that time and I continued giving this food until suddenly my dog started to eat less and less. At some point I was advised to change the food for a while in order to avoid a decrease in her weight (she already was skinny). So one day I was in the supermarket and bought Pedigree adult dry food hoping it would please my friend of four paws. And I have many things to say about it!

When I arrived home I spent some time seeing the ingredient list (which know I now I have to do before buying, not after). Well the firsts listed (the predominant ones) are ground whole corn, meat and bone

meal. Hey, that was not a good sign for me! Dog food has to be rich in proteins and whole corn is medium protein provider and is also not very easy to digest. On another hand the meat and meal bone are rich in proteins but they just say ‘meat’, what is the source of that meat? I probably would not ask this questions if I had not look to Royal Canin ingredient list to see the differences but since I did… I was really displeased! At that point I search for other inconsistencies in Pedigree food and find ‘animal fat preserved with BHA and citric acid’. Which animals? Which parts? And why they still use BHA when it is known that artificial preservatives are linked to cancer?

At this point I started to think that maybe I would not be a good owner if I gave this food to my dog so I call

the vet. In his opinion Pedigree was not a very good food (he does not recommend it) but since the eating problem of my dog was persisted he told me to still try.

Well, in the beginning I noticed Yupi (my dog’s name) was eating a little better and started to wonder what would be the appealing ingredients for her by comparison with the other food. I was not going anywhere but after some time I realized that I should not bother cause he started to eat less, just like before. Nevertheless, in the end she was thinner even though at some point she ate better. Why? Lets just say I had to clean a lot of waste in my yard. After that I tooke her to the vet and turns out the problem was she had a gum infection. So basically she started eating more when I changed to Pedigree food because it was ...

• Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition for Dogs
      smaller and less harsh but she ended eating the same because she did not liked it so much. I started to grind the Royal Canin food while the gum infection was being treated and problem solved!

Oh, and another tip for you. If you have a healthy dog that for some reason starts to vomit after you change his food to this one, it might be an allergy and you need to change it! When I was chatting in the clinic I was told by other dog owner that while using Pedigree food discovered his dog was allergic to it. The vet did not conclude what specific ingredient(s) caused it because there where too many possibilities given the food composition, so he just indicated a food for sensitive dogs. I advise you to pay attention!

Overall, I do not recommend you to feed your dog with Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition. I seriously did not find out

anything good besides the average price, but it does not pay off! The food is not so rich in proteins as it should be and the main ingredient is not something your dog can easily digest. That just mean is less nutritious in the bowl and really poor after your dog eat it because a big part does not end in the stomach, ends in your yard instead. As if it was not already enough, the food also contain BHA which is a preservative linked to cancer and has meat of unknown sources.

The bright side of these experience was that I am now someone who pays a lot of attention while buying food for my dog. In my opinion, as owner I have to be careful with that because food is very important for our best buddy health and I really want him to have a long and happy life so… no more Pedigree alike food, ever!

yogi mani says :

re : In my opinion, as owner I have to be careful with that because food is very important for our best buddy health and I really want him to have a long and happy life so
Because most of the products dogs don t like except pedigree

Stacey says :

re : After that I tooke her to the vet and turns out the problem was she had a gum infection
At least you now know what the problem was. I hope your pet baby is feeling better.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2929041644120230/k2311a0429/4.29.15