For Colored Girls (2010 Film)  » Movies  »
  • Each woman has an issue that they are dealing with in the movie
  • For Colored girls in my opinion was written well for a film adaptation

by nitakb

I remember running across the movie title “For Colored Girls” on the internet movie database one evening. When viewing the list of people included in the movie, I was instantly intrigued because each main actress in the movie was a familiar face and known to be good.
  • For Colored Girls (2010 Film)
  • For Colored girls isn’t your typical movie. To be matter of fact when I first watched it, I had my mind expecting to see something completely different. Each and every character has a story to tell, or tragedy that play’s a vital part in the entire movie. At first it doesn’t make sense, but when the movie was just about over it all fell together.

To my understanding, it’s an adaptation of Ntozake Shange’s stage play for “colored girls who have considered suicide and when the rainbow is enuf.” I have never personally seen the play for myself, so I was mostly relying on the movie’s telling of the story.

• For Colored Girls (2010 Film)
  • In For colored girls, each woman represents a color. Each woman has an issue that they are dealing with in the movie. You have Tangie who sleeps with numerous amounts of men on a nightly basis.

Juanita is having an affair with a man named Frank. Kelly is a social worker, who is sent to the home of a woman named Crystal, to see about the welfare of her children. Nyla is a young dancer who is later to be found pregnant and is trying to get an abortion. Yasmine is a dance teacher, who is later raped by a man she went on a date with. Jo is a high class business woman that finds that her husband is cheating on her with men, and then she later learns she has HIV.

• For Colored Girls (2010 Film)
  • I was taken on an emotional roller coaster. There were certain parts of the movies that had my jaw slack. I couldn’t just sit there and watch the movie without feeling tiny shivers go up and down my spine. The movie is deeply moving, as it tackles delicate topics that occur in real life. Some of the characters were just downright creepy.

• For Colored Girls (2010 Film)
  • The movie is a little over two hours, but it doesn’t feel that long. For a majority of the time I was staring at the screen, anxious to see what kind of drama what was going to take place next. The storyline doesn’t fumble, nor does it have unnecessary filler parts. Even though the theme of the movie is generally serious, there were some scenes that had me chuckling.

• For Colored Girls (2010 Film)
  • Each actor in the film did a dynamic job in portraying their roles. I could feel the emotion oozing through the screen. The scene where Crystal returns home to retrieve paperwork for her boss Jo, where ends up getting in a heated encounter with her children’s father, that ends with her getting a beat down, and then having her children dropped from the window onto the pavement. The scene was one of the most gripping and had me sitting with heavy tears in my eyes.

For Colored girls in my opinion was written well for a film adaptation. The storylines were believable and wasn’t over done. When the movie was over I was sitting there completely blown away.It’s a graphic dark, saddening film, but it’s worth the watch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1124041643900530/k2311a0424/4.24.15