‘Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones’ movie  » Movies  »
  • I think that it is this, more than the jump scares, that makes the latter half as unnerving as it is
  • Were it not for the character driven humor, I don't think that the movie would work nearly as well as it does
  • One thing that I thought the first two sequels did well was feed you a bit of new information about why all of this was happening
  • On the one hand, it was nice to tie it in to the main franchise, but at the same time, I enjoyed that it was its own separate thing

• by David Finniss

After the fourth movie, I was convinced that the “Paranormal Activity” franchise was dead. I liked the first two, but after that, the formula wore thin and they didn’t have anything new to bring to the table.

Enter this “spin-off” that follows another family as they are faced with dark forces. Shockingly enough, I actually rather liked this movie.

Now, I should clarify a bit on this. In terms of being a “scary” movie, it is a bit weak. Granted, once things get rolling, it is more effective than either PA 3 or 4, but it still pales in comparison to the first two or to other horror movies.

It also falls into the same trap as the last two movies in that it really relies on jump scares. It does feel more deserved here as there are parts with genuine tension

and suspense, but there were at least a dozen of them and that is just excessive no matter how you slice it.

Where the movie really thrives is in the characters. Granted, I liked the main characters in 4 (probably the one good thing I’ll mark about that movie), but the characters seen here are more empathetic.

You like them and you feel bad when bad things start happening to them. I think that it is this, more than the jump scares, that makes the latter half as unnerving as it is. The main character was just your average kid, but then things start happening and he becomes something awful.

One odd factor about this movie is the humor. Part of the charm of the characters comes from the fact that they bounce jokes off of each other. It seems out of place in a “Paranormal Activity” movie, but it works well.

It makes the movie entertaining to watch, even when there isn’t really anything scary happening. Were it not for the character driven humor, I don’t think that the movie would work nearly as well as it does.

It leads to an odd instance where I’d mark it as an entertaining movie, but a somewhat lackluster scary movie. It’s weird, but it’s true.

The movie does fall into the same trap that a few other found footage movies have. You could question why a good chunk of this is being filmed and there are parts where you would think that the character would put the camera down. I can’t provide a counter-argument, but I think that with this format, you just have to roll with it for the most part.

I did like the fact that the ...

• 'Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones' movie
      movie doesn’t fall into the same formula as the others. Yeah, there are demons, but it doesn’t play out the same way as the other movies have. The location also changes as the characters go out and do things. I think it helps make the movie feel more dynamic where the others were more confined.

The climax was an interesting watch. I did get a kick out of the “gang members vs witches” fight, but wouldn’t have minded seeing more. There are only two people with guns when they could have easily brought in a half dozen or so.

One thing that I thought the first two sequels did well was feed you a bit of new information about why all of this was happening. The fourth movie was lacking on that front and this one isn’t much better. There’s a

line about how the coven is building a demon army…for some reason. It’s a weird plot point, but it might get fleshed out in later sequels.

I’m torn on the finale. On the one hand, it was nice to tie it in to the main franchise, but at the same time, I enjoyed that it was its own separate thing. The fact that time travel is now a factor only makes things more muddled. I don’t know if anything will come of it, but again, that’s something for the sequels.

The franchise is floundering, but this managed to be a more entertaining entry. Admittedly, it isn’t for the reasons that the writers probably intended. Like I said, the characters and humor are what makes this work. It’s a step up, but there’s still a lot of work to do if the series is going to save face.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1124041643840430/k2311a0424/4.24.15