The Ocarina Necklace, from STL Ocarina
  • With this experience behind me, I must say that the six-hole ocarina is somewhat more difficult to play
  • One of the things that I enjoy the most about this ocarina has been the ease with which I've been able to pick apart tunes by ear
  • Beginner ocarinaists may find it easier to train their ear with a six-hole instrument as opposed to a twelve-hole instrument, and I can highly recommend a beginners start with a six-hole ocarina whistle

• by Rebecca Rizzuti

The Ocarina Necklace is a six hole pendant ocarina from St. Louis Ocarina, and it was the second Ocarina I purchased from this company. It is only two inches in length and comes with an easily adjustable neck strap that allows players to wear the ocarina as a piece of jewelry while having the small flute on hand to play at a moment’s notice! This ocarina is attractive and it plays beautifully. A standard six-hole ocarina has a range of ten notes (an octive and a third) and may be played chromatically.

I’ve

been playing Ocarina for roughly five months now, and I originally began playing on a twelve-hole Ocarina. With this experience behind me, I must say that the six-hole ocarina is somewhat more difficult to play. Sharps and flat smay require holes to be half-covered and therefore require some work to develop the necessary skills to play the full chromatic scale.

Notes played on this ocarina are crisp and clear. While the ocarina should be a progressive air instrument (with each note requiring more breath to reach the note and play it in tune),

I’ve found that on my instrument the B requires less air than either the A or the C (the notes before and after the B note) and prefer to over-blow the Bb in order to obtain the same sound.

Players should note that the smaller ocarinas may be more difficult to hold and that the thick glaze on this instrument makes it slippery when fingers begin to sweat from extended playing. Practice may be required to balance the instrument, particularly on the high notes (especially when all holes are open).

One of the things ...

• The Ocarina Necklace, from STL Ocarina
      that I enjoy the most about this ocarina has been the ease with which I’ve been able to pick apart tunes by ear. Beginner ocarinaists may find it easier to train their ear with a six-hole instrument as opposed to a twelve-hole instrument, and I can highly recommend a beginners start with a six-hole ocarina whistle.

The thick glaze on the ocarina means that it is virtually indestructable. I’ve dropped it several times on hard ground and have not broken the instrument. Its price tag is also appealing, costing only $18

(which makes it a great add-on item in order to reach the $99 amount for free shipping).

This makes an excellent choice for a child’s first ocarina! Tuned accurately to the key of C, fingering charts are available on the STL website, and this instrument’s holes are small enough for a child’s fingers to easily cover them.

I highly recommend this ocarina for beginning ocarina enthusiasts. It makes a wonderful conversation piece, and I’ve been asked about mine by other ocarina players. This is a great way to network with other ocarinaists (by wearing your instrument).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4521041643520530/k2311a0421/4.21.15