Big Eyes (biographical drama movie)
  • The movie Big Eyes was something that I'd been looking forward to seeing for a very long time, partly because it was done by one of my favourite directors, Tim Burton
  • However, I thought that Waltz did an extremely good job playing Walter Keane because he made the character come off as extremely slimy and self absorbed, while at the same time making me confused because he actually seemed nice at times
  • I definitely recommend it to lovers of her work as well as those who like biographical drama movies

by Redtape

The movie “Big Eyes” was something that I’d been looking forward to seeing for a very long time, partly because it was done by one of my favourite directors, Tim Burton. I also became interested in seeing it because of the brief synopsis I’d heard about the plot. After watching it, I actually liked it despite the low rating that it had gotten on some sites.
  • Big Eyes (biographical drama movie)
  • Big Eyes was a biographical drama about the story of how the famous artist Margaret Keane ended up winning her husband in a slander suit for 4 million USD. The movie begins with Margaret leaving her previous husband Frank Ulbrich and then going to San Francisco where she struggles to find a job to support them. She eventually ends up getting a job in a furniture store where she creates paintings on cribs. However she sells her unique art pieces of people on weekends in order to make ends meet.

It is on one of these weekends that she meets the “painter” Walter Keane, who seems to have the talent of drawing people to him. They get married very soon after mostly due to the motivation that her previous husband begins suing her for custody of her daughter, Jane.

After the wedding Walter sells more of his wife’s paintings than his and lies to people that he is the one who created them. Thus began Margaret and her daughter’s life under Walter, which is both emotionally abusive and filled with lies. One day she musters the courage to leave him and moves to Hawaii where she finds further motivation to slap him with a slander suit.

• Big Eyes (biographical drama movie)
  • There are many things that I liked about the movie, but one of them in particular had to be the portrayal of the real life characters by the actors. I remember reading reviews where people complained about Christopher Waltz, the German actor playing Walter Keane. They said his accent was very prominent, and as a result of that might not have been a very good choice to play Walter Keane.

However, I thought that Waltz did an extremely good job playing Walter Keane because he made the character come off as extremely slimy and self absorbed, while at the same time making me confused because he actually seemed nice at times.

• Big Eyes (biographical drama movie)
  • I also loved how Margaret Keane was portrayed by the actress Amy Adams as a lost and oppressed woman. I thought that she managed to have myself and a lot of other people feel a lot of sympathy towards her, especially as a woman living during those times.

I’m not really sure how true this is, but one of my favourite parts of the movie had to be where Margaret begins seeing people in the world around her with very big eyes just like the ones in her painting, so it looks as if she is on the edge of getting a nervous breakdown.

• Big Eyes (biographical drama movie)
  • Something else that I loved about the movie was the way that North Beach San Fransisco was portrayed during that era. I thought that the movie certainly went out of its way to make everything as perfect as possible with its implementation of vintage vehicles as well as the style of dressing and even the architecture.

I also know that it must have been especially hard with the architecture too, since there are many more buildings more than half a century later, so they had to use the help of CGI and green screens.

• Big Eyes (biographical drama movie)
  • One of the scenes that I felt very conflicted about was the one where Margaret goes to confessional to talk to a priest about how she had to lie to her daughter as a result of Walter. The priest in turn advises her that Walter was the head of the family and so whatever he did was probably for the better good.

In my eyes the advice reeked of misogyny, but at the same time it was still easy for me to understand that women in general held certain expectations and were very oppressed in those days.

I liked the movie Big Eyes, because of what it represented and through the movie I developed a love for the artist Margaret Keane who I had previously not heard about. I definitely recommend it to lovers of her work as well as those who like biographical drama movies.

Andrew Leither says :

Something else that I loved about the movie was the way that North Beach San Fransisco was portrayed during that era. I thought that the movie certainly went out of its way to make everything as perfect as possible with its implementation of vintage vehicles as well as the style of dressing and even the architecture. I liked this part of your review and I must admit it’s a must movie for me to watch. I enjoyed the pictures that complemented each section of your review.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1117041643371130/k2311a0417/4.17.15