Hamilton Beach 1.5 Quart Capacity Ice Cream Maker
  • As the summer began to approach and the temperatures rise here in the south - I found myself craving ice cream
  • Dispute the fact that I could go to publix and buy greenwise ice cream for $3.50, I decided that I wanted it homemade
  • I searched a few sites but as always settled on Amazon where I bought this for Hamilton Beach 1.5 Quart Capacity Ice Cream Maker $27
  • After an hour of churning I still had nothing truly resembling ice cream so rather disappointed but annoyed with myself for being impatient - I quickly cleaned out the freezer bowl and replaced it in the freezer
  • Overall I suggest I would recommend it for a patient person on a budget

by IsadoraNight

As the summer began to approach and the temperatures rise here in the south - I found myself craving ice cream. Dispute the fact that I could go to publix and buy greenwise ice cream for $3.50, I decided that I wanted it homemade. I really had no special reason for doing so.

After some failed attempts with “no ice cream maker required” recipes - I decided that I was going buy an ice cream maker. I searched a few sites but as always settled on Amazon where I bought this for Hamilton Beach 1.5 Quart Capacity Ice Cream Maker $27. I mostly choose it over the others because it did not use ice salt which I really didn’t want to deal with.

• Hamilton Beach 1.5 Quart Capacity Ice Cream Maker
  • After two days my ice cream maker made it to my house with no problems. According to the instructions all I had to do was put the bowl inside of the freezer for 12 hours (less or more depending on how cold your freezer was) and then when it was really cold put it in the holder and turn it on. After that you would pour the ice cream mix (milk, vanilla, cream, sugar at its simplest) and within 40 minutes you would have ice cream. Now on my first try I was a little inpatient. All I could think was “12 hours!” As it turned out it really does need to be 12 hours for the bowl to freeze. After an hour of churning I still had nothing truly resembling ice cream so rather disappointed but annoyed with myself for being impatient - I quickly cleaned out the freezer bowl and replaced it in the freezer.

• Hamilton Beach 1.5 Quart Capacity Ice Cream Maker
  • Now this freezer bowl has been the biggest headache mainly because of its ridiculously long freezing time. When I first got it something was being made in it everyday. Rather it was an icee, adding ice to our tea or making ice cream - someone in the house found an excuse to use the ice cream maker. Unfortunately a 1.5 qt bucket only could make enough for two or three people and there are more people than that in my house. So after the first batch the freezer bowl would have to go back in the freezer after being washed and then 8 hours later it would be useable again.

I experimented a lot with freezing times for this reason. When you first get it you should freeze it for at least 12 hours (I suggest even longer like 15 or 24 mainly because I used my deep freezer however a regular freezer will not get as cold.) However after the first use you can put it in the freezer for only 8 hours and it will still work well. This is because after each use I would wash it with cold water (in order to keep the liquid in the bowl as frozen as possible). Sometimes if the bowl was really cold - the ice cream or water or fruit juice would stick to the bottom however this could be solved by running a little bit of hot water to get it out.

Another thing that happens to me is that if I don’t dry it out enough before putting it in the freezer water will drip to a corner of the bottom of the bowl. When it freezers it prevents the turning padded from moving properly. I just take a spoon to it and chip it away in two seconds.

If you try to cheat the freezing times you will find that either one of the following two things will happen: 1) It will not turn into ice cream at all or 2) It will begin to freeze and get about 3/4 of the way there but won’t finish. When the first happens you can just put the mix back in the refrigerator and leave it there until the bowl refreezes. However if the second happens you are stuck with unfinished ice cream….

• Hamilton Beach 1.5 Quart Capacity Ice Cream Maker
  • Now there are a few things about the instructions manual that is not entirely true. The first is the part where it says that once the ice cream paddle rotates clockwise, stops, and rotates counter clockwise and back and forth until it can’t move anymore then the ice cream is done. I have found this to only be true sometimes. When it comes to sherberts, icees and other non ice cream items it doesn’t do this. I believe it is because the paddle reverses when it is caught and can’t move (which happens when the milk expands) but with more water like items it doesn’t become heavy enough to keep the paddle from turning. Therefore you have to gauge when it is done. As a rule - if it has been an hour and the mix is very thick and the entire glob is moving with the paddle then it is done.

Another thing on the manual says that you can add food to your ice cream like M’Ms, oreo chunks etc by putting it in the spout. However I have not had any success doing this. What happens is - after about 20 minutes of churning I would put in the additions. They sink to the bottom of the bowl and the paddle gets stuck and begins stopping and reversing even though the ice cream isn’t nearly yet. A family member suggested I waited until the ice cream became a little firmer before putting in the additions. I have not tried out this suggestion as of yet however.

• Hamilton Beach 1.5 Quart Capacity Ice Cream Maker
  • A lot of complaints on any site selling this is the fact that the ice cream is not hard like the one you get at the store. This is because the ice cream that comes out of this machine is a lot like soft serve ice cream. Its firm, smooth and if you use the right ingredients might taste so airy that you would think it was whipped cream. Dispute that if you want hard ice cream like what you get at the store the best thing to do is to put the ice cream in a container and then freeze it. In a few hours it will be solid like what you get a the store. Now you could try to skip everything and go straight to just freezing the mix however that doesn’t work at all…believe me I tried right before buying the maker.

• Hamilton Beach 1.5 Quart Capacity Ice Cream Maker
  • Due to its ridiculously long freezing time, I looked online to see if I could find a replacement bowl for this item - that way I could make two batches one after the other. However there was no such item being sold on amazon or the official site. I did however discover that they sold replacements for the paddle which (as my sister pointed out) could mean that the paddle has the tendency to break. I haven’t experienced however I wouldn’t be surprised. The paddle is plastic.

All in all it is a nice little gadget that allows you to indulge your cravings. This is one of the cheapest ice cream makers available however there are other ones that may be more convenient. For some the freezing time is not a deal breaker but for others you may want to find a faster machine. Overall I suggest I would recommend it for a patient person on a budget.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5316041643281130/k2311a0416/4.16.15