Freedom No-Pull Harness  » Pets  »
  • With a lifetime of experience with dogs, I was determined to have my golden retriever leash trained before she was six months old
  • Unfortunately, one beautiful June day, shortly after she had turned four, the Gentle Leader broke
  • While I think most owners will see some degree of difference immediately, I will admit that I am very fortunate in the way my dog took to the harness and acknowledge that it may have something to do with years of walking calmly with the Gentle Leader
  • Unfortunately, I have noticed that this harness quickly picks up the 'wet dog smell'
  • As I said, I paid approximately $50 (and it was worth every penny) but this harness is readily available online for less

• by Marley Justine

With a lifetime of experience with dogs, I was determined to have my golden retriever leash trained before she was six months old. Despite my best efforts, that did not happen and I actually ended up buying a Gentle Leader halter for her when she was only four months. Like most dogs, she initially hated this - refusing to walk and trying to paw it off - but she quickly realized that I was not caving and accepted it. So long as she was wearing the Gentle Leader, she was wonderful to walk. Unfortunately, one beautiful June day, shortly after she had turned four, the Gentle Leader broke. My first response was to shrug it off. After all, she was four years old, surely she could walk well on a leash without it. I was wrong. For a week,

walking her was a dreaded task. I was embarrassed to pass people because she would lunge towards them, particularly if they had a dog of their own, and was constantly choking herself. Every now and then people would be understanding and make the assumption that she was ‘just a pup’ and I usually couldn’t bring myself to tell them otherwise. There were times where I contemplated going for a walk without her, but I couldn’t - I wanted to fix this flaw in my otherwise wonderful dog.

Unfortunately, my attempts once again failed and I finally ended up going to a local doggy daycare and retail store where I was told to try the Freedom No-Pull Harness. I wasn’t thrilled about paying $50 but since the store had a reasonable return policy and I was desperate to enjoy walking my dog again, I made the purchase.

The harness, which includes two loops - one in the back which gently tightens to discourage pulling and an option one in the front which can be used to re-direct your dog’s attention - came with a short leash that can be clipped to both loops at once but of course, can be used with any leash. Although I primarily use the back loop on its own, because I find it is effective enough to control my dog, I have used the front loop on occasion. The front loop reminds me of directing a horse with reins. In my experience, it does work, but for my dog it is not necessary.

Expecting a protest, I was absolutely amazed that my dog accepted the Freedom No-Pull Harness instantly and that there was an immediate difference.

• Freedom No-Pull Harness
      While I think most owners will see some degree of difference immediately, I will admit that I am very fortunate in the way my dog took to the harness and acknowledge that it may have something to do with years of walking calmly with the Gentle Leader. If your dog doesn’t immediately walk at your heel when you put this harness on, don’t get discouraged.

I’ll admit, it did take me a few attempts to properly adjust the harness. It also took me about a week to be able to put it on correctly in just one attempt. Keep in mind, I am the type of person who always manages to get things tangled. My fiancee on the other hand, had the harness completely figured out after putting it on our dog only once.

Without a doubt, this harness is one

of the most visually appealing on the market. It is available in a variety of colors, including, but not limited to, purple, red, hot pink, neon green, neon orange, royal blue, brown and black. The chest strap is lined with soft Swiss velvet to prevent rubbing and chaffing sores, and appears to be comfortable.

Unfortunately, I have noticed that this harness quickly picks up the ‘wet dog smell’. I will still use it if I am walking in the rain or snow but I do not find it ideal for beach trips, which is unfortunate because the control it offers would be very much appreciated at the beach.

With the Freedom No-Pull Harness, every moment I am walking my dog is enjoyable. As I said, I paid approximately $50 (and it was worth every penny) but this harness is readily available online for less.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2915041643250930/k2311a0415/4.15.15