Cedarlane Spinach and Feta Tamales  » Food  »
1.0
  • Discarding the paper towel idea, I left them within the husks and hoped for the best
  • Alas, this breakfast item, though healthy, is nowhere near delicious

• by Amber Hart

I recently purchased the Cedarlane brand Spinach and Feta Cheese Tamales frozen product. These tamales, with quinoa for added nutrients, were not as I had hoped and anticipated them to be. The taste was too bland, and, for lack of a better word, earthy in texture.

The tamales flesh (the doughy substance) was dry. Perhaps having been dried out by the

lengthy time needed to microwave them to full warmth. The insides of the tamales, with it’s spinach, quinoa and feta cheese combination, were equally as dry. The texture within, dried out by the quinoa I suppose.

Even with the addition of green sauce, or salsa verde, the tamales were too dry to truly enjoy. The taste was subtle, and almost sweet, but too bland for my palate. Cedarlane has other good products that I have had before, but these tamales left me needing to drink a glass of water, and eat something of more substance.

The instructions suggested a three minute time period for them to be cooked, preferably snug in the corn husks and enveloped in damp paper towels. I had ...

• Cedarlane Spinach and Feta Tamales
      tried that method the previous time I had tried these, but it did not work. They were quite cold in the middle, and needed to be heated again. This time of preparing them, I added a minute to the time. Discarding the paper towel idea, I left them within the husks and hoped for the best. I ended up cooking them for
      a total of six minutes, and by the time the product was so dried out even the generous helping of salsa verde that I lathered them with, didn’t help.

I would suggest that had the spinach been creamed, it would have kept some of it’s juice and been a tasty treat indeed. Alas, this breakfast item, though healthy, is nowhere near delicious.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 279041643160530/k2311a049/4.9.15