Ghost World (drama movie)  » Movies  »
  • Some of my favourite scenes in the movie is actually how she interacts with her father, whereas nearly everything he says and does seems to annoy her
  • I believe that the second reason that a lot of people, especially females would be able to relate to this movie is that a lot of them like Enid, might have felt like they didn't truly belong anywhere
  • Ghost World is one of the best teenage movies I have ever seen
  • I definitely recommend it to people who like dramas

by Redtape

Ghost World was one of those films that I was always hearing good things about but never really took the chance to watch. I never read the graphic novel either, so I couldn’t have given you the first clue about what what it was supposed to be like, although I had one or two ideas. Having said that, after I watched the movie recently I could understand why it received so many good reviews, even though at the same time it was nothing like what I imagined it might have been.
  • Ghost World (drama movie)
  • Based on a graphic novel of the same name, the movie “Ghost World” is a coming of age film about the summer misadventures of two teenage social outcasts, right after they have their graduation. The main one, Enid is a quirky cynical girl, mature beyond her years. Her best friend Rebecca is slightly more social than she is and a little more popular with boys. While Rebecca begins making preparations towards earning a little money and going to college, Enid on the other hand develops an unhealthy fascination with an older man, Seymour, who she once played a prank on.

• Ghost World (drama movie)
  • One of the major things that I loved about this movie was the way that the actress Thora Birch portrayed her character Enid. I’ve always known that she was a great actress, but my opinion of her was further cemented when I saw her portray this troubled teenager who seemed to act a little older than her age.

Some of my favourite scenes in the movie is actually how she interacts with her father, whereas nearly everything he says and does seems to annoy her. There are also the scenes with Seymour, where she tries to act and dress more mature than she actually is, while on the other hand, he seems very baffled by her fascination with him.

• Ghost World (drama movie)
  • Something else that I won’t forget about the movie was how much it appears like real life. I say this for two reasons. The first one is that many people can relate to it because of how unsure Enid was about her future after making all those plans with Rebecca about what they would do after high school, and finally being in the position to execute them.

I believe that the second reason that a lot of people, especially females would be able to relate to this movie is that a lot of them like Enid, might have felt like they didn’t truly belong anywhere. Therefore, they try to find themselves and some form of belonging in a particular group. Similarly, Enid tries to establish herself among Seymour’s rather odd group of friends.

• Ghost World (drama movie)
  • Something else that I had to mention about Ghost World was the ending, which I thought was very unsettling and did not provide much closure. As I mentioned, it’s a coming of age film where Enid basically finds herself, but there’s also a dark side to it because even though she decides to follow one path, she ends up losing a lot, such as her best friend and experiences a lot of pain in the end.

As a result her decision to leave in the end was a bit painful. Like the old man who she sees, she sits waiting for a bus that would take her somewhere else where she could begin a new life.

• Ghost World (drama movie)
  • Even though I said that I could relate to Enid, I also thought that she came off as a bit frustrating and rude to me, especially when it was easy for me to see that she herself seemed to be taking the wrong path. Making fun of and criticising people and pretending you know everything all the time becomes very old after a while, so I began to feel exactly like how her best friend felt, annoyed and frustrated.

Frustrated was also exactly the way that I felt after Enid doesn’t seem to take her scholarship that she received to an Art school seriously and as a result ended up losing it.

Ghost World is one of the best teenage movies I have ever seen. It’s not at all cliche and I think that the actors and the director did a wonderful job in working together to make it a classic. I definitely recommend it to people who like dramas.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 117041643100630/k2311a047/4.7.15