Edelweiss Liquid Chalk, 250ml  » Sport  »
  • I was happy to make the purchase because using liquid chalk, of any brand, is much cleaner inside the gym
  • This makes it a little bit more expensive than brands targeting the weightlifting market, and I'm not entirely sure why the climbing chalks cost more
  • The first thing I noticed was that it didn't smell as bad as I was expecting
  • I generally don't use chalk as much when I climb outdoors (I only find it really necessary indoors where it is much warmer), but one more disadvantage I can see is that you're going to be unable, or at least inconvenienced, reapplying this mid-route
  • I'm thoroughly converted to using liquid chalk indoors, and although I prefer this bottle to Mammut's tube, I can see no discernible difference between this and the cheaper Rock Technologies product

• by James Roberts

Edelweiss’s product is the first and only liquid chalk I have ever tried. I’ve always used chalk balls in the past but my new indoor climbing gym insists on the liquid variety - and for good reason. I was happy to make the purchase because using liquid chalk, of any brand, is much cleaner inside the gym; there is less chalk dust on the mats and in the air - so less to coat the outside of your pants or the inside of your lungs. The first thing that will take you aback however, is the price.

I’ve seen a little bit of variation in price from store to store, but most places put it in the range of 15 to 20 US dollars. This makes it a little bit

more expensive than brands targeting the weightlifting market, and I’m not entirely sure why the climbing chalks cost more. They are all essentially the same; powdered chalk mixed with alcohol.

In fact, there are numerous low cost do-it-yourself liquid chalk recipes on the internet. Given that I had no choice but to use liquid chalk, I bit my tongue and paid five times as much for this as I would for my old chalk balls. 250ml is not such a bad size - and the amount I use per climb (about 2 small drops) means it ought to last me a while.

The first thing I noticed was that it didn’t smell as bad as I was expecting. On the list of ingredients it says there is something in there for fragrance, and although not unpleasant, it was just some indistinguishable, mildly chemical-herbal scent. The bottle seems fairly robust and it is easy to control the rate at which you apply the chalk.

It is worth keeping the hole in the top clean, as I have seen bottles get clogged up if left for more than a week. The chalk itself dries pretty quickly once it is on your hands. Even thick applications dry fairly fast.

If there was one immediate advantage over powdered chalk it would be that it seems to stick to your palms pretty well. This is more of an advantage for climbing outdoors (in specific venues) as I’d say that most indoor walls favour crimps and jugs over sloping hand holds. I’ve heard that liquid chalk ...

• Edelweiss Liquid Chalk, 250ml
      is much better than powdered because it lasts much longer and therefore requires fewer reapplications.

I can’t say that I’ve noticed this particularly. With one 60 move endurance route in mind, I can’t say that liquid chalk has given me any advantage over the older chalk balls. After the past month and a half of using this product, between three and four times a week, I have not noticed any excessive drying out in my hands.

It is incredibly easy to wash off post-session, and has made less mess of my clothes. I generally don’t use chalk as much when I climb outdoors (I only find it really necessary indoors where it is much warmer), but one more disadvantage I can see is that you’re going to be unable, or

at least inconvenienced, reapplying this mid-route. One reason I will be taking it outdoors with me though, is that it is going to be much better for the rock - leaving much less residue on the crags.

There is nothing about Edelweiss’s Liquid Chalk specifically that is going to make me buy their brand next time I need to purchase, but I have been satisfied overall. I question why it is more expensive than other things on the market but we’re not talking radically different prices. For the amount of usage I’ll get out of a single bottle I can afford to take this hit to my wallet.

I’m thoroughly converted to using liquid chalk indoors, and although I prefer this bottle to Mammut’s tube, I can see no discernible difference between this and the cheaper Rock Technologies product.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 351041643020230/k2311a041/4.1.15