Air Asia, Airline  » Airlines  »
4.3
  • The first thing that I found odd was that they wouldn't give us boarding passes for our connecting flight - a little odd considering they were operating both legs of our journey
  • I don't like to criticise the way anyone does their job, but the flight attendants on our second flight seemed entirely disinterested in the passengers
  • In fairness - the staff on our first flight had been very good - so I don't think this is a reflection of the airline as a whole
  • Air Asia does not have a monopoly on budget travel in Asia, and I will happily pay more to avoid using them in the future

• by James Roberts

I am a frequent flyer. Limited by my budget, and required by circumstance, I often use budget airlines. I understand the implications of flying economy class and have no qualms about travelling light, with little to no leg room, and having to pay extra for any additional little comforts. I am just happy to make savings where I can, especially on short trips. Air Asia however, is the first budget airline that I felt was punishing me for being so frugal.

I flew with them from Incheon, Seoul, to Yangon, Myanmar, with a short stopover in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The first thing that I found odd was that they wouldn’t give us boarding passes for our connecting flight - a little odd considering they were operating both legs of our journey. A little concerning also, because of the short length of our stopover. My travel companions and

I were anticipating a mad rush through Kuala Lumpur airport to get to our onward flight.

It turned out that almost every passenger on board with us from Incheon to Kuala Lumpur was in the same position. There was a huge queue at the transfer desk, which seemed badly understaffed. I’m not prone to getting stressed out whilst I travel, but I’ll admit that I felt more than a little irked with the situation. It seemed really odd that Air Asia were operating this way - especially at Kuala Lumpur, where it turned out we had to go through security not once, but twice.

We literally had to run through the airport to get our connection. If I had booked the flight through another agency, or flight comparison site, then I could perhaps understand the narrow margins by which we had to make our transfer - but this was all booked through Air Asia direct. I don’t like to criticise the way anyone does their job, but the flight attendants on our second flight seemed entirely disinterested in the passengers. Admittedly, I was already a little irritable but it was a sentiment I overheard voiced by other passengers as well.

In fairness - the staff on our first flight had been very good - so I don’t think this is a reflection of the airline as a whole. Once we landed in Myanmar most of the inconveniences were quickly forgotten. I’ve never been put out by travelling before, and had no reason to be overly concerned about out return journey a week later. Against all the odds however, Air Asia made getting home even worse.

Some of my companions were checking baggage - so we decided we might as well all do the ...

• Air Asia, Airline
      same and save ourselves the hassle of carrying things through Kuala Lumpur, where we knew there were two security checks. When we landed in Incheon my bag was in an absolute state - it looked like it had been dragged for miles through dirt and grime. Aside from the dirt there was also some cosmetic damage, which was a little upsetting because I always endeavour to take such good care of all my stuff. But it turns out I was lucky just to be able to pick up my bag.

Two of my friends were left empty handed at the baggage carousel. The journey itself had also been filled once again with minor, unnecessary blunders that accumulated to thoroughly spoil the trip. There were just too many instances of apparent ineptitude and unprofessional-ism. In Kuala Lumpur we were locked in the jet bridge for about five minutes

because no one was at the terminal to let us in.

There was rubbish left at my seat on one of the flights - which is an added shame because cleanliness of the planes was going to be one of the only positives I had to name about flying with Air Asia. We were also subjected to a fairly embarrassing sales pitch by one of the stewardesses as we flew back to Seoul, with numerous clumsy endorsements of products I doubt many people were interested in buying from the in-flight shopping service. Air Asia does not have a monopoly on budget travel in Asia, and I will happily pay more to avoid using them in the future. Three of four flights were just too bad to forgive any time soon - and with the added burden of some clumsy transfers, I just don’t think I could put myself through it again.

Azriel says :

This company was originally the kind of airline that everyone tries to evade in the country. They were known for providing poor services and well, also they have this profile that their aircraft was rather small and unstable. Until they turned it around and offered really cheap fares. Those that was willing to try for the sake of travelling has given great reviews and the rest is history. Now people do consider this airline as top choices when booking for flights. I have availed few of their services for local travels and i have had no bad experiences so far. No delayed flights, no long wait in check in counters.

emelyne says :

This low-cost airline is what attracted many budget travelers around the world. They have zero-fare, no-fuel surcharge, 50%, 20% promotions and etc. As what I’ve mentioned earlier on, it’s budgeted airline so I do advise you not to expect too much from this airline. Personally speaking, this airline is serving their best to many budgeted peoples like us who travel around the world. So if you are expecting treatment of a first class service such as Emirates,Malaysia Airline, Nufthansa, Thai Airways and etc my advice is don’t choose Air Asia as they can’t provide you the 1st class service like I mentioned above. Room for leg isn’t big but you can upgrade if you want to. Meals are not complimentary but you can purchase it on-board. Since it’s budgeted airline so do your calculation on the cost(baggage fee, meals on flight if you are travelling for long hours, convenience and etc)and compare it with other airlines that are available in your country. That’s how I travel in a budget way. By the way, I still prefer Air Asia as it really suits my budget all year long travelling. Just book it early and try out AirAsiaGo as their flight hotel package is really cheap at times during promotion.

Pushti Sanya says :

I think Air Asia is a good choice when they offer a very cheap travelling package once a while.The prices are truly affordable . But the flying period might be problem as we need to buy the ticket very much earlier than the time we travel and the decision making is hard too as we only have very limited time. Other than that, if we well prepared on our travelling period, all we have to do is wait for the alert and grab the chance

Joana Puzon says :

AirAsia is Certified as a 3-Star Low-Cost Airline for the quality of its airport and onboard product and staff service. Product rating includes cabin comfort, baggage / seat charges, buy onboard food beverages, cabin cleanliness, and service rating is for cabin and ground staff.

Jennifer Davis says :

my husband and I would like to take our kids to see some of the historical parts of asia. Were might I be able to find discounts on AirAsia tickets?

Margie says :

For me the cheapest prices are when purchasing directly from the company, instead of a third-party seller. Go here to purchase:

firmansyah says :

you can use TRAVELOKA ( ) to get discounts of Air Asia. this site is good and the price is on website is the the same with our payment. i always use it when i fly.

KASHIF says :

being a traveller it’s a inconvenience not to get boarding pass in connecting flight , We expect good service and hospitality by airlines , Everybody want to travel hassle free journey throught boarding pass issuance make traveller easy to board desired destination.

Jessica Owthwaite says :

re : The first thing that I found odd was that they wouldn’t give us boarding passes for our connecting flight - a little odd considering they were operating both legs of our journey
We chose Air Asia, because even though it cost a tiny bit more than the cheapest flight, it was rated much higher.
It was the best value.
The flight was on time and very pleasant. It also had good service.
On the plane, the restrooms situation was great, there was hardly ever a wait and that was flying from LAX to Ho Chi Minh City.

The food was ok. Some of it was really good- some, not. I mixed it up by choosing American meal sometimes and Asian food sometimes. Each one had good things in it and bad things…I didn’t think there was enough food (that I wanted to eat) to keep me full. If I flew again, I would bring some snacks. There was a good amount of movies, but not as many choices as other international airlines. Some of the movies looked good- I wish they had had English subtitles
I would fly Air Asia again.

Pia Masangkay says :

Overall experience with AirAsia is cheap and comfortable. Flew with them last year back and forth when we went to Hongkong. Along with Cebu Pacific, they are one of the go-to airline for cheapstakes like me. Although, I hope i can say the same for long-hour flights.

wahyu kuncoro says :

Air Asia is well known in Indonesia, although the aircraft unit is not too much but always dare to offer cheap tickets. This is what makes Air Asia known to the people of Indonesia. With Air Asia, I as an Indonesian, can fly to kualumpur, singapore, and bangkok at a low cost.

I like and recommend Air Asia for those who like to travel by plane. But, apart from all the bargains offered, you should also be able to be patient with the service.

Galega says :

Air Asia is quite popular in ASEAN countries. And, there is no doubt about this fact. They have absolutely no competition in the region when it comes to budget airlines. Unfortunately, they couldn’t get the same traction in the Indian market. I think here the market is replete with many good budget airlines and their possibility to make a cut was already low.

Meena says :

I remember my first trip from Delhi to Kochi (Kerala ) India was very comfortable . Air Asia crew welcomed me with warm smile . Enough space was there inside the plane for walking with my handbags and inside of plane was smelling good . Seats were clean without any stain . Seat belts were easy to fasten . Food served in flight was sumptuous and during whole flight I did not feel any turbulence . It was like plane is moving through space with vaccume and no shaking . We landed at kochi on time and got baggage in few minutes after deboarding . My all stuff was in good condition . I recommend every one this airline .
Meena

Meena says :

re : Air Asia does not have a monopoly on budget travel in Asia, and I will happily pay more to avoid using them in the future
Meena

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4030031642960531/k2311a0330/3.30.15