Grafix 12×12 in Chipboard  » Education  »
  • As I worked I noticed that the natural chipboard was much more dusty and dirty looking after being cut through and glued together a few times
  • Since it was a process model (similar to the way you do a rough draft of an essay) and not the real deal I decided to experiment
  • After making a model using this technique I confirmed what I had already thought - the natural chipboard was not as high quality but unfortunately neither the natural nor the brown side of the white chipboard looked very good as a model
  • I found that it made my life easier and unlike glue (which seeps at the sides of the chipboard when you press them together) it doesn't come out of the edges
  • I did have a problem using it with the white chipboard

by IsadoraNight

One of the second models I had to make in my first Architecture class was made of chipboard. Now close to my college was a store that sold most of the supplies to the Architecture class. However since they were the only game in town they charged a ridiculous amount of money for chipboard (about $10 for only ONE sheet of 24×24 inch piece that is 3 ply). Since I needed a lot, I looked for it elsewhere - starting at walmart hoping for a better price. They did not sell it in the stores near my house but I did find it online for $10 for 25 sheets of 12×12 which was way better but shipping was $5 and it would take a week to get to my house which was way too long. I looked high and low and found many stores like Alvin&Co or Joann’s that sold it however in the end I went with amazon which sold three different colors at 25 sheets of 12×12 chipboard and would get to my house in two days with Amazon Prime.
  • Grafix 12x12 in Chipboard
  • I had bought two colors. A natural one which was brown and the white one. The brown one was $7 but the white one was $11. The difference in price was because the white one had one side painted. I had been surprised by that. None of the sites that I looked at had told me that colored Grafix chipboard was only colored on one side.

• Grafix 12x12 in Chipboard
  • Another thing that surprised me was the difference in the quality of the chipboard. I made several models out of both of the chipboard. As I worked I noticed that the natural chipboard was much more dusty and dirty looking after being cut through and glued together a few times. It did not have the same clean clear look as the brown side of the white chipboard. In the end I had to give up using it because it was just too sloppy looking.

Since it was a process model (similar to the way you do a rough draft of an essay) and not the real deal I decided to experiment. Our teacher told us to glue several pieces of chipboard together for each plane of our model so I decided to take the white chipboard and glued the white sides together so all you saw was brown side.

After making a model using this technique I confirmed what I had already thought - the natural chipboard was not as high quality but unfortunately neither the natural nor the brown side of the white chipboard looked very good as a model.

• Grafix 12x12 in Chipboard
  • I did attempt using the white side of the chipboard. It was a very delicate process because every little thing could make it dirty. I wore gloves and put several pieces of tracing paper underneath it to keep it clean. Truthfully the fact that you could see the brown side on the edges really aggravated me.

• Grafix 12x12 in Chipboard
  • You have to cut chipboard with a box cutter. And not the small kind neither. You need the heavy duty ones that they sell at walmart in the paint section for about $5. Anything other than a sharp box cutter knife will cause the chipboard to ruffle around the edges and it will look horrible. Believe me I know. It took me about three blades for each model.

• Grafix 12x12 in Chipboard
  • Even though most people probably won’t ever have to glue two peices of chipboard together to make it thicker. If you ever due try using adhesive spray rather than glue. I found that it made my life easier and unlike glue (which seeps at the sides of the chipboard when you press them together) it doesn’t come out of the edges. The only time it will is if you spray near the ends of the chipboard then of course the excess will come out but that can be quickly dabbed away with a piece of wet cloth. I did have a problem using it with the white chipboard. If it seeped even a little, a dark stain would be left.

• Grafix 12x12 in Chipboard
  • When using chipboard you may find that the edges ruffle a little bit which happens if the knife is not sharp enough. You can use sandpaper on the edges to make them look neater and sharper. I used leftover sandpaper from another project however some classmates of mine also used nail files so both work.

Grafix is one of the few companies that make this type of chipboard. Overall this is a decent product which I don’t have many complaints about. My main concern is the quality of the natural chipboard and the fact that the white chipboard is white on only one side. Many people use chipboard for frames and other similar crafts. Even though I used these techniques to build a model it still applies.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5030031642900531/k2311a0330/3.30.15