Ideone - online code writing and compiling tool
  • If you like trying out different programming languages, then you might have came across a problem of dealing with all of the different environments of different programming languages
  • Speaking of accounts, I recommend you to register an account because it makes the use a lot easier
  • A little disadvantage I would like to mention
  • But I think this is a critical case, you might not even feel it
  • But still this site is awesome in my opinion

by Davit Safrastyan

If you like trying out different programming languages, then you might have came across a problem of dealing with all of the different environments of different programming languages. Ideone ( ideone.com ) , is a very helpful and easy to use tool, it is an online code writing and compiling tool which can be very helpful. It supports over 50 programming languages.
  • Ideone - online code writing and compiling tool
  • So, as I mentioned above, if you are using different programming languages, then I am sure that your computer is not in a good shape. Every programming language requires an environment to run. Every Environment application is being developed every day, and obviously every new feature comes with a price: horrible resource consumption. This is where ideone steps in. It is basically a very simple looking website which allows you to type your code and execute it online. Mostly, it is used in competitive programming because there is no option to request connection to other corners of the internet, or to do anything graphical, it’s just a pure input and output tool but it is still a great helper. You can write and save infinite number of codes. Every code stays in ideone forever.

• Ideone - online code writing and compiling tool
  • Above you can see the main part of the main page of ideone. It is the home page of ideone which means by just typing ideone.com in your browser address bar, you can start coding. It is stupidly easy to use. There is one window to type in your code, one window to give it a note (a note is something like a name of your code) , and also an option to choose a label (for categorizing your code). Below you can choose some security options, such as hiding from the public or sharing with the public. And when you are done, you can click the button “Ideone it” and see the result of your code. Obviously you are free to modify your code and run as many times as you wish.

• Ideone - online code writing and compiling tool
  • Above you can see the list of all the programming languages available. In my opinion it is really a lot. Considering that there are some languages which are extremely rare, I assume that every single language which you might need, is listed here.

• Ideone - online code writing and compiling tool
  • Above, you can see a piece of picture taken from the “my account” window. Speaking of accounts, I recommend you to register an account because it makes the use a lot easier. It’s a fast free and easy process so you should do it.

So, back to my account page. Here you can find the codes which you made, listed by the date of creation. It’s really easy to use, I am very happy with it. You might wonder about the 6 random blue characters on the left side of each row. They are unique ids for you codes.

A little disadvantage I would like to mention. There is an option which you can adjust which is called “number of codes per page”. The maximum value is 100 which is a disadvantage in my case because I have over 500 codes and it’s a little hard for me to find the one I need, I need to loop over at least 5 pages to find one code. But I think this is a critical case, you might not even feel it.

• Ideone - online code writing and compiling tool
  • Above you can see the picture of the “preview” window for a certain code, and as you can see there is a download option for that code. And on the bottom left corner, you can see the result of the download. This is a major disadvantage for me.

I named the code above as “ACM 1009: K-Based number” because it is from a site called ACM and the number of that task is 1009, and the name of that task is K-based numbers. Logical Right? Unfortunately, when I download it, I get a file named ideone_[id] where id is a 6 character long word with random characters.

The second disadvantage is also about the download feature. You just can’t download all of your codes at once. You need to manually click on every one of your codes and click download. But still this site is awesome in my opinion.

I highly recommend ideone. if you are not going to use a certain language for a long time, then there is no need to install those big and memory-consuming programs, you can use ideone instead. Although you might get a little lost, when you collect large amount of codes, but still it is a great website. And I forgot to mention, you can also embed your codes on your blog or website by just adding a little HTML code to your site, which is given by ideone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2023031642560531/k2311a0323/3.23.15