CodeCademy - website for learning web programming  » Education  »
  • I think this method of teaching is very effective, programming is something that can't be learned with reading alone
  • Depending on the level of your programming, you need to choose the block which fits you the best
  • But I am not sure that this is a disadvantage, because in my case, I had a lot of experience in programming, I just needed to learn the words of those languages and it seemed slow to me, but maybe if you are a beginner you will have a good experience learning this
  • The Web Developer Section is an interesting one
  • If you are an expert then I don't recommend this site because you should probably work already

by Davit Safrastyan

Now, technologies grow and develop, and more and more programmers are required worldwide which means that more people are getting interested in programming and want to learn programming. The question is, where to learn programming effectively?
  • CodeCademy - interactive and fun website for learning web programming
  • CodeCademy is one of the methods. It is an extremely good website. (visit at http://codecademy.com ). Overall, it is a fun and interactive website. Here we will have a look at the materials which this site offers, and try to assess the overall effectiveness of this site.

• CodeCademy - interactive and fun website for learning web programming
  • First of all let’s have a look at the main learning environment. Every lesson/course is a window similar to the one above. On the left side there is the learning stuff which you need to read and understand. Every lesson learning material has a certain task which is described at the bottom left corner.

In the middle, you can see the windows where you will have to type in your code. Your code will have to solve the task given to you. The task will ask you to write something which is only based on the things you learned so far.

On the right side, you can see the window which displays the result of your code.

The environment is user-friendly and well-designed. I think this method of teaching is very effective, programming is something that can’t be learned with reading alone. You need to implement it with your own hand, to see all the wonders and horrors of it.

• CodeCademy - interactive and fun website for learning web programming
  • There are basically “blocks” of lessons. Depending on the level of your programming, you need to choose the block which fits you the best. The “Language Skill” block is the perfect place for a beginner. Those lessons teach you overall web programming languages. Here you will learn the fundamental concepts of programming and languages of web-programming.

Overall, I liked this section but there is one thing which bugged me a lot. The course is fine, it explains everything very well, but it was too slow. Sometimes, you had to implement the same thing all over again, with a different variable names and values. But I am not sure that this is a disadvantage, because in my case, I had a lot of experience in programming, I just needed to learn the “words” of those languages and it seemed slow to me, but maybe if you are a beginner you will have a good experience learning this.

• CodeCademy - interactive and fun website for learning web programming
  • The “Web Developer Section” is an interesting one. I would call the previous section as something more of a “lesson” type, while I would call this section more of a “project” type. After you have learned the languages of programming, you can start completing full projects where you will see all the previously learned languages cooperate with one another. The environment is a little different but it’s still great and user friendly.

• CodeCademy - interactive and fun website for learning web programming
  • The “Goals” section is pretty similar to the previous section. This is also another “project” section where you will need to complete full projects with the help of stuff you had already learned. I recommend this section especially to the ones who want to become web designers in future. This section, really covers all the important stuff which the designer must know.

• CodeCademy - interactive and fun website for learning web programming
  • The last section is about implementing various APIs for your website. Especially in web programming, there is a a lot of stuff made by different companies which is ready for use, this section practically teaches you how to use them. Be sure that when building a website, you will have to deal with many various APIs. Obviously codecademy couldn’t possibly teach every single API in this planet, but it will teach you how to learn. It sound complicated but we can’t succeed with learning only, we need to learn how to learn.

• CodeCademy - interactive and fun website for learning web programming
  • Here comes my most favorite part: the awards. There are badges for the courses you complete, tasks you complete and for other unexpected stuff. I think those badges had a big contribution in my urge to keep on learning. How are people becoming obsessed with games? Obviously because of a flexible reward system. The same is here, those rewards make you feel a little happy, at least they did for me.

So, let’s finish of with the final conclusion. If you are a started then I highly recommend this site. For starters it is a great place, for not only learning the language itself, but also learning the ideas and concepts of programming in general. If you are not a started but have some certain spheres to work on, then I still recommend this site, especially with the projects you will acquire the necessary knowledge. If you are an expert then I don’t recommend this site because you should probably work already.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5020031642530631/k2311a0320/3.20.15