The Imitation Game (historical thriller)  » Movies  »
  • While the reviews I had read about it on the internet seemed to be mixed, I found myself agreeing with those people who claimed that it was one of the best and most inspirational biopics they had ever seen
  • However, he took his portrayal of Alan Turing to another level, where I thought that he made his character seem infinitely more interesting and tortured
  • However, in the movie I thought that she played the role of Alan's confidant and friend rather naturally
  • I would definitely recommend it to people looking for good movies to watch

by Redtape

After seeing it nominated for so many awards, I just knew that I had to see the movie “The Imitation Game”. While the reviews I had read about it on the internet seemed to be mixed, I found myself agreeing with those people who claimed that it was one of the best and most inspirational “biopics” they had ever seen.
  • The Imitation Game (historical thriller)
  • The Imitation Game is mainly about the struggle of the eccentric British cryptoanalyst Alan Turing to break the “unbreakable” Nazi Enigma code in the midst of World War II. At the beginning of the movie his idea of designing a machine to crack the codes generated everyday was met with a lot of opposition from both his superiors and fellow cryptoanalysts. However, the genuis behind his idea was seen when he finally got his machine to work the way he wanted. Thus Turing and his fellow cryptoanalysts became faced with the task of keeping their breakthrough a secret through a collaboration with MI16 and statistical calculations.

• The Imitation Game (historical thriller)
  • I believe that the acting talent is one of the things that makes the movie a masterpiece. For example, I’ve always known that the English actor Benedict Cumberbatch was very talented. However, he took his portrayal of Alan Turing to another level, where I thought that he made his character seem infinitely more interesting and tortured.

Keira Knightly was also a pleasant surprise for me since a part of me has never really imagined her as being an extraordinarily good actress. However, in the movie I thought that she played the role of Alan’s confidant and friend rather naturally.

• The Imitation Game (historical thriller)
  • Something else that I also loved about this movie was the score. I didn’t see it mentioned a lot by other reviewers, but I personally thought that it stood out among many other things, since it helped make certain dramatic scenes even more suspenseful, and the movie overall more beautiful.

For example, I loved the musical piece that accompanied scenes such as the one where people all over England were doing the crossword puzzle that Turing posted in the newspaper.

• The Imitation Game (historical thriller)
  • When reading some of the reviews about The Imitation Game, I noticed that one of the criticisms that some people had was that there should have been a gay sex scene, but I disagree with them. I am one of those people who believe that placing a sex scene in a movie, whether gay or straight does not necessarily make any contribution to its quality.

Furthermore, I agreed with the direction when he mentioned in an interview that such a scene would not have been relevant as Alan Turing was rather secretive about his sexuality, and that his main focus at the latter part of his life was artificial intelligence.

I also personally believe that flashbacks about his past as a boy in love with another boy at school, was an adequate representation of his sexuality.

• The Imitation Game (historical thriller)
  • In some of the reviews I read or watched, there were people who claimed that they cried in the latter part of the movie when Joan and Alan were reunited; and after watching it I can definitely understand why. Him speaking about how he was forced to be chemically castrated was one of the most emotional scenes in the movie, in particular because here was this once brilliant man who could barely do things he was good at, simply because of what he was.

The Imitation Game is one of the most brilliant movies that I have seen in a long time, so much so that it reminds me of the movie “A Beautiful Mind”. I would definitely recommend it to people looking for good movies to watch.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1111031642280131/k2311a0311/3.11.15