Ouija (supernatural horror movie)  » Movies  »
1.5
  • While it was obvious that the movie would not be any good even from then, I decided to try it anyway
  • However, I thought that the actress Olivia Cooke overdid it, and thus the scene came off as looking more ridiculous than anything else
  • I for one found it very boring and sadly mediocre
  • Therefore, I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a good supernatural horror scare

by Redtape

I was in the mood to watch a horror movie recently and couldn’t figure out which one to watch. That was when I remembered one called “Ouija” that I had seen the trailer of when I went to watch something else in the theatre. While it was obvious that the movie would not be any good even from then, I decided to try it anyway. It neither exceeded nor went below my expectations.
  • Ouija (supernatural horror movie)
  • The movie Ouija begins with flashbacks of the childhood friends Laine Morris and and Debbie Galardi playing with a Ouija Board. Debbie tells Laurie that spirits become visible when one looks through the glass in the planchard that comes with the board. However, before they can continue, they are interrupted by Laine’s younger sister Sarah.

Years later when the girls are teenagers, Debbie begins isolating herself and then commits suicide one night. Saddened and confused, Laine and her friends try the same Ouija Board the girls used when they were younger to contact Debbie and find out why she did it.

On their first try the friends think that they might have been successful when something actually responds. However, when the friends start receiving paranormal attacks and then dying off one by one, Laine discovers that they might have unleashed something more sinister.

• Ouija (supernatural horror movie)
  • The worst part about watching this movie is knowing that a movie with a plot like this had the potential to be many more times frightening. However, the writers decide to place themselves in a very tiny box that limits their creativity, and what ensues in an extremely cliche teen horror film.

What’s even more disappointing is that the person who directed the movie, Stiles White, is the same person who has worked on movie such as “Interview with The Vampire” and “The Sixth Sense”. Therefore, I would expect a lot better and some knowledge of making successful horror movies. Instead I’m expected to bear ridiculous scenes such as the one where the teens are told by the entity that it’s not Debbie.

• Ouija (supernatural horror movie)
  • It’s almost ridiculous that a movie with a premise like Ouija doesn’t have many scary scenes, but believe it or not, it actually manages to accomplish this. Most of the “scary” scenes actually occur in Debbie’s house when the teens are using the Ouija Board; but I couldn’t help thinking that there should be more if they actually released something powerful.

The few scary scenes seem a bit cliche somewhat. For example, there was the scene where one of the friends “slipped and died” as she was not able to call for help since the entity “sewed her mouth shut”. However, I couldn’t help thinking that I had seen it some place else.

• Ouija (supernatural horror movie)
  • Next there was the acting, which wasn’t as horrible as some of what I’ve seen in certain B-rated and C-rated horror movies. However, it was still absolutely nothing worth gushing about. I understand that most of the actors who were playing the main characters were a bit inexperienced and still quite young, but it felt far too much like I was watching a Disney original movie or some teen TV movie; meaning that everything was just “okay”.

Take the main actress Olivia Cooke for example, who played the role of Laine. I though that there were many occasions on which she either overracted or just underacted. To illustrate, there was an emotional scene in which Laine speaks crying to the woman who used to live in Debbie’s house as a child, as she can’t understand why the supernatural creature has not left her alone. However, I thought that the actress Olivia Cooke overdid it, and thus the scene came off as looking more ridiculous than anything else.

• Ouija (supernatural horror movie)
  • Then of course there is the ending scene which I’m still trying to understand where the planchard reappears on Laine’s bed despite her having burned the board and supposedly gotten rid of the supernatural entity. I thought that it didn’t really make much sense in terms of its relation to the plot and the solution to the original conflict. Therefore, it raises several questions. Who put it there? Was Doris really still alive? The most important question was, why did I waste so much time watching such a ridiculous film?

The ending comes off as being cheap, cliche and unoriginal and I honestly can’t help but dread that there might be a “Ouija 2″ on the horizon.

In the end, I’m really not sure if the movie “Ouija” is even good enough to pass the time. I for one found it very boring and sadly mediocre. Therefore, I really wouldn’t recommend it to anyone looking for a good supernatural horror scare.

nick says :

re : While it was obvious that the movie would not be any good even from then, I decided to try it anyway
I went with a group of friends to see this movie, and it wasn’t after all that bad, wasn’t too scary but I liked the suspense and the plot twists and over all it was an ok movie.

nick says :

re : However, I thought that the actress Olivia Cooke overdid it, and thus the scene came off as looking more ridiculous than anything else
I agree, she could have dialed it down a bit

nick says :

re : I for one found it very boring and sadly mediocre
I found the movie interesting and really did catch my eye. I enjoyed seeing this movie

nick says :

re : Therefore, I really wouldn’t recommend it to anyone looking for a good supernatural horror scare
I would recommend this movie as a cheesy bflick for some one who needs background noise

Moe says :

Ouija isn’t a great movie, primarily because the cast is not compelling. However it’s not the worst movie that’s been put out there and as far as horror movies go, at least this had a workable plot and a few scares. Far from top notch but better than many horror films today.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 119031642260731/k2311a039/3.9.15