Steak n Shake, Springfield, MO  » Restaurants  »
1.5
1550 S. Glenstone Ave. Springfield, MO 65804
  • I love to check out local diners and eating establishments
  • My first ever Steak n Shake dining experience was at this particular locale
  • One thing that I have noticed each and every visit is the average age of the patrons
  • It was rather slow and I decided to read a book and enjoy my drink while I waited for my husband to finish at his appointment
  • I cannot speak for the other Steak n Shake restaurants in the city, but I highly recommend avoiding this one

• by Darling Violetta

I love to check out local diners and eating establishments. I have eaten at this Steak n Shake location a total of three times and have decided that I will never return!

The Steak n Shake at 1550 S. Glenstone Ave. in Springfield, Missouri is at a prime location. It rests near a series of small shopping centers along one of the most trafficked streets in the city. It should be no surprise that the dining area is usually full. My first ever Steak n Shake dining experience was at this particular locale. It didn’t go over so well. The second visit was about on par with the first and the third visit - that is and will be my last.

The restaurant itself is very clean and very busy. One thing that I have noticed each and every visit is the average age of the patrons. Most of the patrons appeared to be in the fifties or older. I have never seen what appeared to be 20 or 30-somethings dining in at this location.

The dining area is almost

always busy. Between the talk of the patrons and the blaring music, it was difficult for me to hear my husband who was seated directly across from me. Each and every visit to this restaurant, my husband and I were always seated next to other people. This was very annoying, especially when there were plenty of seats available where other patrons weren’t seated elbow-to-elbow.

The first visit, the waitress left some of the items off of our order and forgot to bring my young daughter’s drink. That’s forgiveable, however.

The second visit I dined alone. It was rather slow and I decided to read a book and enjoy my drink while I waited for my husband to finish at his appointment. I was only asked if I wanted a refill once in an hour’s time - My originally assigned waitress finished her shift and I was simply forgotten by the waitress who took over. I did not find this acceptable when there were more than five waitresses on staff and I was in clear view of the management team.

I left, feeling annoyed, but thought I would give it another chance. The final chance.

Employees of the Steak n Shake restaurant at 1550 S. Glenstone forever put me off of eating at their establishment in February 2015.

My husband and I decided to dine-in. The dining area was relatively busy and louder than usual. The waitress seated us and moments later took our order. It was barely 1:05 p.m. at that point. The drinks were filled heavily with ice, so we were ready for refills by the time that we received our food items, approximately ten minutes later. She gladly refilled them. The next time that they were empty, we watched and waited as our assigned waitress passed us by, leaving our glasses empty. Finally, we saw a manager and asked her to get them for us instead.

A few minutes later, the waitress returned to the table and asked if she could take our plates - we still had our side items on the plates and our burgers in our hands AT OUR MOUTHS. Yes, she attempted ...

• Steak n Shake, Springfield, MO
      to take our plates while we were still actually eating the food. How rude, I thought.

The waitress returned almost immediately after our plates were clear. She asked us if we wanted deserts. When we declined, she quickly offered us “to-go” cups for our drinks and gave us our check.

My husband and I had originally intended to remain at the restaurant. We had chosen to go there to get away from our children, relax, and to socialize. We had intended to continue ordering drinks as we socialized and perhaps order desert - but not less than three minutes after finishing the meal! The waitress didn’t bother returning to be of assistance after she dropped the check. It was only 1:27 p.m. when she handed over the check.

Yes, we were being rushed out of a diner less than thirty minutes after arriving and less than fifteen minutes after receiving our food.

UNBELIEVABLE!!

I filled out a comment card and had intended to speak to the manager about the poor service that day. All she had to say was “The box is

over there.” I filled out all of the contact information on the card, but I have never heard from anyone from the company on any level. I have to wonder if my voice was even heard.

NEVER again will I return to the Steak n Shake at 1550 S. Glenstone in Springfield, Missouri. The food may taste good but the poor, sub-par service that I have received from the wait staff at this establishment is a total put-off! I’d rather pay more to take my business somewhere that it’s appreciated.

Some of the staff at this Steak n Shake location have no business working hospitality. They are clearly more focused on the hope of making cash by getting diners in and out as quickly as possible, not on the quality of service provided.

I cannot speak for the other Steak n Shake restaurants in the city, but I highly recommend avoiding this one. The service is TERRIBLE. I’ve received better service from teenagers at fast food establishments.

I probably will never eat food from or at any Steak n Shake ever again.

Destiny says :

re : I cannot speak for the other Steak n Shake restaurants in the city, but I highly recommend avoiding this one
I honestly couldn’t agree more Me and my husband were having a nice little drive around town and we saw Steak n shake, we live a little out of town but we go in sometimes… The customer service was poor and the food was cold once it arrive and the cherry on top I found a blonde curly hair in my food _

Destiny says :

Well back when we Stoll lived there .-.

Courtney Brown says :

This restaurant has poor customer service I do not recommend. Even just a smile can make a big difference at restaurant. Please take this into consideration before going. However, I went to a Steak n Shake in Florida and it was fantastic

Zoey7879 replies :

I often visit the Steak n Shake restaurant on National Ave. here in Springfield, MO and I have never had the same sort of problems that I do at the Glenstone Ave. location.

Ken Schaefer says :

We have noticed a change in Stake and Shake fromIndianapolis,IN to Florida. The service has gone down hill at all of the ones we stop at and the quality of food and preparation has gone down too. We do not stop at Stake and Shake any more because of the service and quality

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 76031642141131/k2311a036/3.6.15