Outlander (romance drama television series)
  • In my opinion, not enough drama and time travel culture shock awkwardness ensue for me to find it as remotely entertaining as I know it has the potential to be
  • Therefore even though I'm most definitely disappointed, a part of me has opted to wait until it begins again so I can see whether or not things will get any better
  • Therefore, I had absolutely no problem with it showing Claire's background as a nurse in the war and having it talk about her relationship with her husband
  • I know others like it because it has been getting a startling amount of good reviews

by Redtape

With all the hype surrounding the premiere of the television series Outlander, I honestly thought that it would have been something that I might enjoy. This was especially after I discovered that it would be set between post World War II and that the plot would contain elements of time travel, a theme I’ve always been interested in. However, after going through all the episodes that have been released through season one so far, I am still yet to see why it has received such as high rating as well as why there is so much hype surrounding it.
  • Outlander (romance drama television series)
  • In Outlander, the married World War II nurse Claire Randall is transported through time to an eighteenth century Scotland, after viewing a pagan ceremony one night and accidentally falling asleep on site. She is literally transported in a time where Scotland and England are at war, and during her time, finds love, meets a man who might be her husband’s ancestor as well as is accused by both sides of being a spy.

• Outlander (romance drama television series)
  • My biggest disappointment about this series so far is not the way it is filmed or the way that the actors portray their characters, but the fact that I think it is just plain boring. In my opinion, not enough drama and time travel culture shock awkwardness ensue for me to find it as remotely entertaining as I know it has the potential to be. Therefore even though I’m most definitely disappointed, a part of me has opted to wait until it begins again so I can see whether or not things will get any better.

A part of my boredom with this series results from the fact that it moves at its own tired snail’s pace. Therefore, even though there haven’t been many episodes so far I sometimes feel as if it takes an entire episode or two for something exciting to happen.

Let me elaborate. I understand that the pilot of a series is usually dedicated to introducing characters and the audience to the series itself. Therefore, I had absolutely no problem with it showing Claire’s background as a nurse in the war and having it talk about her relationship with her husband. What I wasn’t satisfied with however was it taking nearly an entire episode to get on the point of Claire time travelling, to the point where I was beginning to wonder if it would happen in the second episode instead.

• Outlander (romance drama television series)
  • Something else I just can’t stand about the series is its main character. I’ve tried my best to understand why she makes the choices she does and I’ve even tried to like her, but frankly it’s just not working out for me. Claire is the only character that I have truly despised in years.

This is the reason why. Claire Randall reminds me of one of those cliche “Mary Sues” from fan fiction stories, who it seems is literally waiting to seduce and be rescued by one of the male characters. For example, since Clair has time traveled, although she has spoken about it I really don’t get the feeling that she has placed much priority on travelling back to 20th century Scotland. As a matter of fact, she has fallen in love, is attending balls and seems to be concentrating on everything else but that. Meanwhile, Claire’s husband is desperately trying to figure out what has happened to his wife.

I keep thinking back to what I and most other people I know would have done in her situation, which would be trying every possible way to get back to the place I woke up in, so I could figure out how to get back, especially since there’s a war going on around me.

• Outlander (romance drama television series)
  • One thing I can definitely say though is that I’ve seen shots of the scenery in Outlander, and it looks nothing less than breathtaking. Everytime I see one of the shots of the Scottish highlands with its woods, mountainous backgrounds and grassy fields, I can understand why exactly the place is growing on the main character, and Claire seems somewhat attached. It’s also motivated me in a sense to visit Scotland at some point in my life.

I also feel that the clear crisp visuals of the landscape is one of the view things that has helped redeem this series for me and is one of the only reasons why I’m still watching it.

• Outlander (romance drama television series)
  • While this season has never really been very thrilling for me, there are a few scenes that I actually liked. For example, there is the scene where Claire encounters her husband’s ancestor and he is nothing like the man she knows her husband to be. In fact, the ironic thing about their meeting is that she think’s that he is her husband for a split second and then he actually attempts to rape her.

It has occurred to me that maybe the reason why I don’t really love this series is because I’ve never really been a fan of the romance genre like some. I know others like it because it has been getting a startling amount of good reviews.

However, I personally think that it’s not as remarkable as people make it out to be, and the main character makes it even harder to watch.

Priscilla says :

re : My biggest disappointment about this series so far is not the way it is filmed or the way that the actors portray their characters, but the fact that I think it is just plain boring
I disagree on that. Maybe i disagree cuz i have read al the 8 books before watching this tv series. When you read the books you know the story and you know what will happen. When you start to read the books you fall in love with al the people in the book and the storylines. Most of the books are going to be used in the season and seasons that are up coming. It doesn’t only have a great history of 18th century scotland. But also one of the greatest love story’s between 2 people from different centuries (you know when u have read the books). The first 8 episodes were about Claire traveling through time, meeting the highlanders and creating a friendship with Jamie and after that getting married to Jamie to be safe from Jack Randall. The other 8 episodes you must watch cuz you get to know more about Jamie and hist past, how the relationship of Jamie and Claire change and evolves after she got saved from Jack Randall. But ofcourse everybody could have a different opinion about it. You should read the books than you will look different to the series.

Amy A Collen says :

I watch a lot of historical dramas and am not finding Outlander boring because of the intrigue and tension between the characters. The series does expect the audience to do a fair amount of "reading between the lines." There is an energy that I wish the writers would include — the humor between Jamie and Claire — their dialogue has been cut to the bone. That’s why people are saying to read the books — it’s the funny dialogue that the series needs. The series is serious and focused on serious matters — but in the books there is more of a dynamic of word exchange between the characters.

Amy A Collen says :

re : Therefore even though I’m most definitely disappointed, a part of me has opted to wait until it begins again so I can see whether or not things will get any better
The writers are listening to feedback and I would expect we’ll see more dialogue and banter showing up in future episodes. I’ve watched the earlier episodes twice over and found that I was able to enjoy them without being so distracted about the adaptation from book to screen.

Amy A Collen says :

re : I know others like it because it has been getting a startling amount of good reviews
It’s more popularity with male viewers now too, which is good. It’s not an "action-packed" series but the characters have heart and I think that’s what audiences are connecting with.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 105031642041131/k2311a035/3.5.15