Pushing Daisies (fantasy comedy television series)  » TV  »
  • Back then although I was never lucky enough to catch a single episode of it, I had always been interested in viewing the series because what I had read about the main plot seemed interesting to me
  • Year later I was finally able to watch both seasons of it, and though I had thought that I might have outgrown my fascination, I found it just as enjoyable as I would have several years ago
  • I thought that it was especially fitting for a series with such a dark plot that tried not to take itself too seriously, and extremely beneficial when it came to giving information about Ned's background and talent in both a timely and captivating matter
  • Even though it might look bright and cheery on the surface, it actually has a very dark plot, so I also wouldn't recommend it to the faint of heart and easily offended

by Redtape

While not many people might have heard about or watched the television series Pushing Daisies, I can remember it from when it started airing on the cable television channel ABC in 2007. Back then although I was never lucky enough to catch a single episode of it, I had always been interested in viewing the series because what I had read about the main plot seemed interesting to me.

Year later I was finally able to watch both seasons of it, and though I had thought that I might have outgrown my fascination, I found it just as enjoyable as I would have several years ago.

• Pushing Daisies (fantasy comedy television series)
  • First of all, if you were fans of television series such as “Dead Like Me”, “Wonderfalls”, “Hannibal” and “Mockinbird Lane”, Pushing Daisies both occurs in the the same universe as well as is written by the same screenwriter, Bryan Fuller. Therefore as you might have already figured out, both the plot and the writing style is quite unique.

In this particular series, the protagonist Ned, is a pie-maker who is gifted with the rather mysterious ability of resurrection. However, his gift has two main conditions. The first is that he can only bring the dead creatures back to life for a minute until the universe balances the death out and kills another living creature close-by; and the second is that if he ever touches the resurrected creature or person again the it would go back to its nonliving state permanently.

The private investigator Emerson Cod discovers Ned’s gift accidentally one day when he is chasing a criminal. Thus he makes Ned a proposal which is that they would join forces where Ned would bring dead people back to life and Emerson would inquire about the circumstances of their death. The money acquired from solving the case would be then split. Despite the fact that he had vowed not to use his talent again, Ned accepts the proposal because the restaurant is not doing very well financially.

What results from this little arrangement is that Ned reunites with the love of his life, makes lasting friendships and discovers things about the world and himself that he never knew.

• Pushing Daisies (fantasy comedy television series)
  • Perhaps one of the main things that I absolutely adored about this series would have had to be the narration style. The thing is that at the beginning of each episode an unseen narrator introduces a new addition to the plot or recaps what what we the audience found out in the previous episodes. However, this narration is done in such a flowery way that it seems almost reminiscent of someone reading a fairytale or a Christmas story.

I thought that it was especially fitting for a series with such a dark plot that tried not to take itself too seriously, and extremely beneficial when it came to giving information about Ned’s background and talent in both a timely and captivating matter.

One example of this would have to be way that the pilot begins where it shows a little boy running though a field, and the narrator starts by saying “At this very moment in the town of Coeur d’Coeurs…”.

• Pushing Daisies (fantasy comedy television series)
  • I like the way that the characters are built as well because despite everything else they still have their imperfections, some of them almost bordering on irony. There’s the protagonist Ned for example, a man with a gift that most people might think makes him probably one of the most powerful people on the entire earth. However, he is content with living a very simple and unpopular life as a pie-maker with very few friends.

At the same time the series also explores his imperfections when he ignores his code and brings Chuck back to life, as well as the fact that he ignores Olive’s strong feelings for him.

• Pushing Daisies (fantasy comedy television series)
  • When watching the series Pushing Daisies it would be hard not to notice that all of the cases that the team works on are stranger than usual. This is one of the things that makes it even more appealing because there is also the curiosity around what the group’s next odd case is going to be.

For example, Emerson and the rest of the group have investigated strange cases from dog-obsessed polygamist murders, to killer ghosts and cases of bodies hidden in snowmen. However, the one that took the case for me was the case of the murderous crash test dummy.

• Pushing Daisies (fantasy comedy television series)
  • Last but not least I was truly impressed with the acting in the series. I know that all, if not most of the actors in Pushing Daisies are extremely talented, in particular Lee Pace, who has gone on to play other roles in films such as that of King Thranduil in The Hobbit trilogy, Ronan in Guardians of the Galaxy, Garrett in one installment of the Twilight Saga and Joe Macmillan in Halt and Catch Fire.

However, the one who I was most intrigued with was Kristin Chenoweth who played the role of Olive Snook. I had previously ignored this actress in movies such as “You Again”, “RV: Runaway Vacation” and “Bewitched”. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see her shine and play a very lovable and relatable character in Pushing Daisies. I also was able to get a taste of her talent, which is singing.

I definitely recommend the television series Pushing Daisies to people who liked other series from the “Fullerverse” such as “Dead Like Me” and “Wonderfalls”. Even though it might look bright and cheery on the surface, it actually has a very dark plot, so I also wouldn’t recommend it to the faint of heart and easily offended.

I also find it truly regretful that the series couldn’t have gone for any more than 2 seasons, but it’s a rule of thumb that every good thing must soon come to an end.

Maddie says :

re : I thought that it was especially fitting for a series with such a dark plot that tried not to take itself too seriously, and extremely beneficial when it came to giving information about Ned’s background and talent in both a timely and captivating matter
When I first saw this series I instantly fell in love with its plot line. The series does a wonderful job at explaining, not only Ned’s background, but the background of every main character. Every episode gives a flashback of a character’s past, and it often follows Ned’s past of having to deal with his unique gift.

Although the series seems dark (considering the main focus is, well, death) it has a witty sense of humor and has a rather bright and cheery setting. Who doesn’t love a mystery involving special powers, romance, and pie?

Redtape says :

Perfectly said It’s probably one of my favourite series even though it’s just two seasons.

roma van demark says :

re : Back then although I was never lucky enough to catch a single episode of it, I had always been interested in viewing the series because what I had read about the main plot seemed interesting to me
It was a new concept. Fun idea.

roma van demark says :

watching the series is much better because you can stay in the story.

roma van demark says :

it was smart to give such a background for Ned as you cant have a character with no real plot.

roma van demark says :

re : I like the way that the characters are built as well because despite everything else they still have their imperfections, some of them almost bordering on irony
All of the characters are a bit sarcastic but work will together.

roma van demark says :

re : Even though it might look bright and cheery on the surface, it actually has a very dark plot, so I also wouldn’t recommend it to the faint of heart and easily offended
Anything about death is something you have to laugh about or watch a cartoon.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102031641970231/k2311a032/3.2.15