Are You Here (2013 Film)
2.0
  • Normally, I don't go for comedy movies, since most of the time they aren't funny, and tend to use old, tired humor to earn laughs
  • You have some extra bits, that I think was intended to support the story line, but sadly fell short
  • I was especially disappointed by the actors, because they actually have talent, but in this movie it was not shown
  • I would not recommend for anyone to watch this with their children

• by nitakb

Are You Here, is a comedy movie I had the opportunity to view one evening. I hadn’t heard much about the film, until browsing the internet movie data base. I was curious about the movie after viewing the cast list of actors who started in the movie. Normally, I don’t go for comedy movies, since most of the time they aren’t funny, and tend to use old, tired humor to earn laughs. But I figured that it would be pretty good and I would give it a chance.

Are You Here in the beginning revolves around, Steve Dallas, and Stu, who are best friends and can be described as seriously dysfunctional. Steve is a weather man, who in the beginning, seems to never have enough money, and complains about life in general to the women he’s supposed to be sleeping with. Then there is his best friend, who lives his

life in a manner that is questionable. It’s hinted in the movie that they have been good friends since they were kids.

The turn in plot happens when Stu’s father’s passes away, and Stu and Steve drive out to his funeral. At this point we are introduced to his sister, Terry and the step mother Angela, who is significantly younger. All the tension and conflict is gradually revealed after the funeral. The sister doesn’t like Angela and thinks she only married her father for money.

Angela is portrayed as this gentle, carefree spirit that really loved her husband and wasn’t in it for material gain. Of course this all thrown back in her face by Terry, who does not believe this.

Later, in the reading of the will, it is revealed that the father left only a small amount of money to Terry, and left the rest, which

is a great deal, to Stu. He’s leaves, nothing more than sweet and racy words to his wife. This effectively shocks everyone in the room.

My thoughts at this point were scattered. The movie is supposed to be funny, but in my honest opinion, the movie is not all that funny. The humor relies heavily on awkwardness, and material that is generally drug related or sexual. Some of the material was pitiful and had me shaking my head. And then once you got past, the supposed humor, and slight chuckles, the movie was sad.

The son is truly grieving for his father , and at first feels like all the money that was left behind for him is a way that his father is trying to control him. Even from beyond the grave.

The acting in the movie was pretty stiff. There was no emotion really, and what was displayed ...

• Are You Here (2013 Film)
      felt forced and looked just down right awkward. I felt no real connection to the characters. It’s known that each character has some deep root issues that they each have to dwell with in some form or another.

Are You Here is more of a movie that dances around the storyline of a short lived romance, with scenes that causes a few chuckles. You have some extra bits, that I think was intended to support the story line, but sadly fell short.

The storyline itself isn’t bad, but the surrounding nature is. Had the movie been made to be more of a drama, and romance and the writers worked on exclusively developing the storyline, then the movie would have been a lot stronger. There is nothing wrong with laughter, but the dry humor really took away from the movie and it’s entirety. There were parts that were down right

predictable.

I was especially disappointed by the actors, because they actually have talent, but in this movie it was not shown. The characters had little to no chemistry. The dialogue was spotty, and at times didn’t make sense. The actors obviously did their best with what they were given, but it just didn’t cut it.

The R rating for this movie was correct, as there is full blown nudity, drug usage and use of strong language. I would not recommend for anyone to watch this with their children.

The movie ended on a good note. That is after some weak typical drama took place. I was left feeling like I wasted almost two hours of my life away.

In the end I was very disappointed in this movie. I was hoping that it would be better than it turned out.

I would not recommend this movie to a friend.

Mathijs says :

re : Normally, I don’t go for comedy movies, since most of the time they aren’t funny, and tend to use old, tired humor to earn laughs
I agree, there aren’t so many comedy movies that are really funny.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1126021641870728/k2311a0226/2.26.15