The Scorpion King 4: Quest for Power, Movie  » Movies  »
1.5
  • The only reason I decided to give this a go was because I'd seen that Michael Biehn was on the cast list and I will give him a chance in just about anything
  • Other than the fact that he was in it, I really didn't know much else about the film and I must admit that I could barely recollect the others I had seen in the franchise
  • If you want to know what it feels like to have your intelligence insulted for an hour and forty minutes then I'd definitely recommend it, otherwise give it a miss
  • Having come to the film only because of Michael Biehn though, I must say that I was very disappointed

by James Roberts

I missed the second Scorpion King movie and I have no idea how I came to watch the third - but suffice to say I didn’t go into this film with my expectations held high. The only reason I decided to give this a go was because I’d seen that Michael Biehn was on the cast list and I will give him a chance in just about anything. Other than the fact that he was in it, I really didn’t know much else about the film and I must admit that I could barely recollect the others I had seen in the franchise.
  • The Scorpion King 4: Quest for Power, Movie
  • Although I may have no loyalty to the Scorpion King brand, I am a big fan of action movies, especially those with a historical slant, and I’ll give most fantasy movies a chance as well. Perhaps it is my memory that is failing me but I didn’t recall the previous films being quite so heavy on the comedy - slapstick in particular. Tonally this film was all over the place. The entire thing felt amateurish and lazy. Despite a couple of gory moments and mild sexual references I had the feeling at the end that perhaps this was a children’s movie and that maybe I had watched it by mistake. But even a children’s movie ought to offer more quality than this. If you want to know what it feels like to have your intelligence insulted for an hour and forty minutes then I’d definitely recommend it, otherwise give it a miss.

• The Scorpion King 4: Quest for Power, Movie
  • I know that this was a relatively low budget affair but it did look very cheap throughout the majority of its running time. I suspect that most of the costumes were recycled from Kevin Sorbo’s old Hercules show or some other made for TV production. The sets looked fairly empty and flimsy whilst the location scouts had also managed to find areas of ‘wilderness’ that came complete with concrete roads. I know that you’re not supposed to expect much more from these kinds of films but there are so many low (relatively) budget features, like Black Death, which do so much more with what little they have. Just because this movie doesn’t aspire to be anything more than another disposable straight-to-video release doesn’t mean I’m going to be more forgiving of its shortcomings.

• The Scorpion King 4: Quest for Power, Movie
  • There must have been some money in the budget however, as there were plenty of recognisable faces in the film. Amongst them were Rutger Hauer, M.Emmet Walsh and Barry Bostwick. I know they’re not exactly A-listers, at least not anymore, but they’re definitely above this kind of fare. Hauer provided a bit of gravitas to his minor role whilst Barry Bostwick actually appeared to be having a genuinely fun time livening things up as one of the comedic characters. Having come to the film only because of Michael Biehn though, I must say that I was very disappointed. He wasn’t given much to do at all and although I’m tempted to say he shone at a couple of moments it would be more truthful to say that he was probably miscast.

• The Scorpion King 4: Quest for Power, Movie
  • A testament to how badly this thing was put together was Ellen Hollman’s disappointing turn as the leading lady. She really failed to convince here, which was quite a surprise considering that she’d been by far one of the stronger side characters in the Spartacus series.

I didn’t really mind Victor Webster reprising his role as the titular hero but it wasn’t exactly a praise worthy performance.

Probably the weakest showing came from Will Kemp as the main antagonist. Physically he is not nearly intimidating enough to compete with Webster and the script never attempts to give us a reason why he might be a worthy adversary. He and his entourage of henchman are completely inept - although this could just have been one of the running gags of the film - it is hard to know.

• The Scorpion King 4: Quest for Power, Movie
  • Another flaw with the film was the action - which is a fairly big criticism considering the genre. The opening sequence was completely devoid of suspense because of some terrible CGI and clumsy dialogue. The fighting scenes were also quite poor. The choreography lacked flow and there was an over-reliance on using the same acrobatic stunts again and again. It might not have seemed quite so bad if it hadn’t been for the embarrassing sound effects they used.

Eva Torres, Lou Ferrigno, Don Wilson and Roy Nelson were all under-utilised. They managed to squeeze a bit more use out of Torres but her scenes were slightly superfluous to the plot.

I’m not going to talk about the plot or storyline here - it would be a waste of everyone’s time.

The Scorpion King 4 ends with a closing scene straight out of an elementary school play. It was hammy, awkward and full of self congratulatory patter that is not befitting of adult performers. There was even a mid-credit scene that I still can’t quite believe I caught. I’m not sure why it was there or what purpose it served.

This film is not one of those so bad it’s good affairs - it’s just bad. If you’ve been following this series of films then you’ll probably still want to see this - as I’m sure a fifth instalment will be out one day.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1124021641841028/k2311a0224/2.24.15