John Wick, Movie  » Movies  »
  • All supporting players seem totally on board with the tone of the film and there is some tongue in cheek humour to be enjoyed throughout
  • All in all I have to say I was mightily impressed with this film and look forward to more of the same from the director and hope that Keanu also picks more of these roles

• by James Roberts

I love revenge movies. They appeal to our baser instincts and when they’re done well they strike us at our emotional core. John Wick is a superb revenge flick that oozes style and menace.

From the outset this film makes its intentions very clear. It is light on dialogue and plot but heavy on moody atmospherics and brutal fight choreography. Chad Stahelski’s (Director) background in stunt coordinating really comes to the fore and the action sequences are balletic in their grace and fluidity.

Although our protagonist

doesn’t say very much in this film, John Wick is characterised brilliantly and the script crafts an intriguing mythology around his past. For those who’ve never been over awed by any of Keanu Reeves’ previous performances he certainly ups his game here. He brings a quiet intensity to his role and manages to capture a sympathetic vulnerability whilst at the same time totally convincing us as an unstoppable killing machine.

In fact, the entire cast here is without a weak link. All supporting players seem totally on board with the tone of the film and there is some tongue in cheek humour to be enjoyed throughout.

Michael Nyqvist makes for a charismatic villain who really connects with the viewer by being our guide into unlocking John Wick’s mysterious past.

Like all good revenge films, John Wick is unflinchingly violent but also concerned with a moral code and characters who act on principle.

There was so much publicity surrounding this movie in Korea that I really wasn’t sure whether or not to raise ...

• John Wick, Movie
      or lower my expectations going into it. I didn’t think that it was big enough in scope or going to be original enough to blow me away but it was so stylishly shot and sound-tracked that it almost instantly won me over. The camera work was precise and it didn’t rely on any gimmickry to add excitement.

I could pick one fault with the film but I don’t want to give away any spoilers here. Suffice to say there is an age old and much derided action

movie plot device thrown in somewhere around the two thirds mark. It sort of works itself out but it did play on my mind a little towards the end of the film and I couldn’t help but think how much better the film could have been if they’d worked a way around it.

All in all I have to say I was mightily impressed with this film and look forward to more of the same from the director and hope that Keanu also picks more of these roles.

Azriel says :

Im glad I got to watch this movie. I did not know what this movie was about until about a few minutes into the movie. You are right about it being done so well and brilliantly. I loved how cool it was when John decided to go for thr man that killed his dog and stole his car. It was ao cool how even the “mafia” trembled at the mention of his name. This movie was great that it was a dream to be so cool like him, and be able such things you can easily get away with it.

James Roberts replies :

Yeah, this is definitely one of the slickest and most satisfying action films I have seen in quite a while.

Azriel says :

Yes, I did not quite expect Keanu to be doing anything like this now. It was really great and you did review it very objectively too. Thanks

James Roberts replies :

Thank you very much. If I could recommend one more of Keanu Reeves’ recent movies it would be Man of Tai Chi, which he is also directed.

Joe Beales says :

re : All in all I have to say I was mightily impressed with this film and look forward to more of the same from the director and hope that Keanu also picks more of these roles
I agree both this movie and 47 ronan seem like cool movies and I’d like to see the reviews for them as well as mine too.

James Roberts replies :

I really enjoyed this, but I have to say that I was disappointed by 47 Ronin - despite wanting it to be really good.

wanderingmind says :

Yey Another Keanu Reeves movie. He’s not the best thespian out there. But when it comes to action movies, I would say that it’s always a good experience.

James Roberts replies :

This time around he definitely does put in one of his best performances to date.

wanderingmind says :

Keanu Reeves deserves to have another intense action movie like this in near future, with the same director.

Perfect combination for an actor and director

James Roberts replies :

There are rumours of a possible sequel - with the same directors attached - but I don’t know if Keanu Reeves has made any commitment to it.
Keanu Reeves is set to star in a mini series called John Rain however - about another assassin - where he will also play the titular character - although I don’t think it is intended to be in the same vein as John Wick.

Jason Turpin says :

When will John Wick 2 be out?

AsianJunkie says :

According to Summit Entertainment, it will be released on February, 2017.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 115021641510728/k2311a025/2.5.15