Tron Legacy, Movie
  • The quality of the CGI and the design work throughout the movie is deserving of high praise, and once partnered with Kosinski's direction there are so many freeze frame worthy moments that would make for the most stunning posters
  • I would not hesitate to recommend this movie
  • If this film caught your fancy when you saw the trailer then you won't be disappointed
  • I saw this movie 3 times on the big screen and it is still a regular favourite of mine on Blu-Ray

• by James Roberts

For the sake of candidness I ought to state that I am a big fan of Daft Punk and the original Tron Movie. It is therefore with some bias that I entered the cinema to see Tron Legacy, which announces the arrival of Joseph Kosinski as a new director. From the opening title sequence I was instantly hooked. This movie is all about the perfect marriage of visuals and soundtrack.

It may be story lite but what is there is tight and succinct. For those not familiar with the original movie from 1982 there is no barrier to enjoyment and comprehension as this sequel in some respects serves as a remake/homage to the original; in some places borrowing sequences and dialogue from its predecessor. Although nothing groundbreaking is offered in terms of

structure or story I have the utmost admiration for Kosinski’s directorial style; it is precise, efficient and damn good looking.

As the story itself takes place over a relatively short period of time the pacing is on the mark. I felt the plot and some of the dialogue made some concessions towards younger viewers but this was hardly of any significant detriment to my enjoyment of the movie as a whole. The majority of the film takes place within a digital world, The Grid, so by necessity the film is very CGI heavy.

Unlike many current movies though, the CGI has not been used to substitute for real stunt-work, and we are given some incredible fight sequences courtesy of Anis Cheurfa’s tricking, an acrobatic martial art. The quality of the CGI and

the design work throughout the movie is deserving of high praise, and once partnered with Kosinski’s direction there are so many freeze frame worthy moments that would make for the most stunning posters. I couldn’t pick fault with any of the performances in this film.

It was a real pleasure to see Bruce Boxleitner reprise his role as Alan Bradley and the titular hero Tron. Also of particular note were the portrayals of Kevin Flynn and Quorra by Jeff Bridges and Olivia Wilde respectively. They brought real warmth and charm to what is essentially a film with few real human characters.

Credit is also due to the screenplay which manages to adhere to the rules created for this rather unique science fiction world. It is easy to invest in a story that ...

• Tron Legacy, Movie
      abides by its own code of logic and reason. As earlier mentioned, the film does tread a fine line between remake and sequel.

There is an instant sense of familiarity, and comparisons can be drawn easily with the original movie - but I invite any viewers of Tron Legacy to revisit the original to see just how far they have developed the iconic aesthetic. No review of Tron Legacy would be complete without a gigantic applause for Daft Punk’s soundtrack. Here is a film that deserves to be played loud.

It complements the story and the visuals perfectly; heightening moments of suspense, heroic sacrifice and adrenaline pumping action. Even the album itself can be played independently of the film and still invoke a sense of excitement and drama. I would not hesitate

to recommend this movie.

I unashamedly rank it as one of my all time favourites whilst knowing that current tastes have actually made a shift towards darker, more serious movies. If this film caught your fancy when you saw the trailer then you won’t be disappointed. If however you saw the trailer, and had any doubts, then the film is not going to deliver anything unexpected.

An audio visual treat that is easily digested but perceivably shallow if you like films heavy on character development and subtle subplots. I’d go so far as to say there are frequent moments of movie perfection contained within its 127 minute run time, which never drags. I saw this movie 3 times on the big screen and it is still a regular favourite of mine on Blu-Ray.

Azriel says :

I have always like scifi action movies. It is really great that we have such movies to enjoy and the action of this movie is packed that kept me on my sit and wanting for more. I give this 8 stars as I think this is really a good movie that deserves credit for its animation.

Kristina says :

re : I would not hesitate to recommend this movie
I enjoyed everything about this movie the story, the effects, the actors and the soundtrack. I found myself wishing I could visit the Grid.

James Roberts replies :

Sequels are in production - So hopefully more of the same is on the way.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1130011641300131/k2311a0130/1.30.15