The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio (drama movie)
  • This is one movie that will definitely appeal to us baby boomers, but certainly not us alone
  • I liked what I was watching so much that I decided to find out more information about the lead character Julianne Moore
  • In fact, I think that was one of the first things that really drew me to watching the movie and enjoying it

• by wisdoml

This is one movie that will definitely appeal to us baby boomers, but certainly not us alone. Being born during that period of mass marketing and eye-catching consumption has probably influenced many of us to more fully appreciate and understand the deep lessons that this movie delivers. Nevertheless, the movie has great appeal to anyone who has seen optimism and courage in the face of hardships.

I almost never worked up the interest to delve into this movie. I’m glad I did. I liked what I was watching so much that I decided to find out more information about the lead character Julianne Moore. She is an American actress and an acclaimed children’s author. In addition, she is also largely known for her representations of emotionally disturbed women.

The movie is actually based on a true story about a nineteen sixties housewife. Evelyn Ryan has an unusual talent of writing prize winning limericks and jingles in an effort to make ends meet.

The contests are promoted by various advertisers and businesses and this mother of ten children enters dozens of these prize-winning contests which she often wins and for which she receives cash, groceries, or electrical devices. To help with household expenses she will sometimes have to convert some of the prizes into cash for other necessities. Through this means, Evelyn is able to help provide for her large family.

Evelyn’s husband Kelly isn’t a very helpful companion, especially since he is struggling with alcohol addiction. He uses up much of his insufficient pay check to stock up on alcohol for himself. This often leaves bills unpaid and the family in need, so they go into a lot of debt. As a result, Evelyn is forced to manage with unpaid bills and an endless scarcity of domestic funds. Despite having to go through these challenges, Evelyn remains a cheerful and optimistic woman who envisions greater things for her children and she works hard and adoringly to

make the impossible real.

In the climax of the story, pressure rises when Evelyn finds out that her husband Kelly has taken a second mortgage on the house and they are far behind in payment. The family is in risk of being homeless. Nevertheless, the prize money of one of the contests that she has entered, bails them out of one more dilemma, and so they are able to pay the mortgage and retain the house.

There are some few things that I appreciate about this movie. The first is that like Evelyn, many of us at some time or another, can relate to the plot in the context of someone who has had to creatively devise alternate means of meeting our financial obligations and make ends meet. Often we have to use our various talents or skills in order to support ourselves and our families when we are in hard financial situations. In fact, I think that was one of the first ...

• The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio (drama movie)
      things that really drew me to watching the movie and enjoying it.

The other thing that I liked about “The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio” is that it is a winner; a moving, bitter-sweet praise to all the resourceful women who love life and love their children, even in the face of adversity. Despite not having read the book on which the movie is based, it is a safe bet that the movie is an inspiring account that brings real tribute to the author of the book.

It is fitting therefore that someone like Julianne Moore should play the role of Evelyn, a woman of strong determination. She played her character’s role very well and she brought a lot of colour to her portrayal. Woody Harrelson also played his character Kelly with not just the usual one-dimensional, abusive, alcoholic image that one usually sees in films. Instead, he appears too as a broken and miserable man struggling to hold on to a job and who,

not knowing the way out, uses alcohol as a means to cope.

Like most films however, there are periods of gloom. I remember in one particular scene, Kelly even goes as far as to lock the children out of the house rendering an otherwise “pleasant” day a bad one. From time to time, he also ruins some of her projects, and I guess eventually, most people would become dispirited; but not Evelyn. Her character works assiduously while trying to retain her upbeat temperament, getting almost no appreciation from her husband. There are times when Kelly even ruins some of the prizes that she has won.

I would definitely endorse this movie as a smart expose of a well-done memoir of a woman of steel. It is a true story of her struggles to care for her family in a time when middle-income married women did not often manage rewarding occupations since it was frequently deemed an affront to their men, suggesting that they couldn’t provide for their wives.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2015. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1130011641280131/k2311a0130/1.30.15